Saint-Hyacinthe - QC
Become Dental Hygienist
Job Description: Dental Hygienist
A dental hygienist provide oral healthcare to patients in a dental clinic. While they often work together with a dentist, they also perform duties and responsibilities specific to their role. A dental hygienist provides professional-grade cleanings and treatments of teeth, gums and mouths, all important elements of maintaining strong oral and dental health. The majority of dental hygienists work in a private dental clinic, seeing patients by appointment alongside a dentist and an orthodontist. The role is well suited for those looking to specialize in one area of healthcare, offering stable, long-term careers, and rewarding careers.
5 Requirements To Be A Dental Hygienist
- A degree or diploma in dental hygiene from a program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada
- Pass a clinical competency exam and written exam conducted by the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board
- Understand and comply with all laws and regulations in the relevant provincial jurisdiction
- Be able to safely and correctly use all tools and equipment in the course of treatment
- Strong interpersonal skills to form strong relationships with patients
What Does A Dental Hygienist Do ?
A dental hygienist primarily spends their days cleaning teeth and gums, performing routine checkups and diagnosing certain oral and dental hygiene issues. In addition to cleanings and treatments, they also give guidance and advice so that patients can maintain strong dental health on their own. A dental hygienist helps to keep patients relax and informed about important issues that could affect their health. They also assist dentists and orthodontists during exams, treatment plans and more complex procedures including surgeries. There are additional administrative responsibilities, such as updating patient information.
- Perform routine examinations of teeth, gums, and mouth
- Remove plaque, tartar and other built-up substances as part of a cleaning
- Treat cavities, stains, damage and other common dental issues
- Take and exam x-rays
- Inspect for signs of dental diseases and decay
- Apply fluoride and other products to help protect teeth
- Teach patients about preventative maintenance
- Assist dentists/orthodontist during exams, treatments and procedures
- Update patients records with latest information and treatments
- Perform admin duties as required
- Clean and sterilize tools, equipment and station after every use
- Maintain a hygienic environment at all times
How To Become A Dental Hygienist
There are specific educational and training requirements to be a dental hygienist. Prospective dental hygienists must earn a degree or diploma from a training program that has been accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada. Upon graduation, they must successfully pass a clinical competency exam and written exam conducted by the National Dental Hygiene Certification Board. They should also be aware of any regulations or requirements specific to their province or territory.
Sectors Recruiting For A Dental Hygienist
Dental hygienists are recruited by dentists and denturists to work in dental clinics and offices as part of the healthcare industry.
Career Outlook For A Dental Hygienist
The long-term employment outlook for dental hygienists is considered to be good across the country. There will be competitions for job roles however, as there are predicted to be 12,000 new job roles with 15,300 job seekers looking to enter the profession.
Where Does A Dental Hygienist Work
A dental hygienist works in a dental office or clinic. They are there to assist a dentist, and perform specific duties to help patients maintain good dental health.
Related Job Titles
According to the CNP code (national classification of occupations), here are additional titles for dental hygienist:
- Dental therapist
- Dental nurse
- Dental technician
- Dental hygiene technician
Companies Recruiting For Dental Hygienist
Trois-Rivières - QC
Quebec City - QC
See all recruiting companies Dental Hygienist
Dental Hygienist Salaries
To get an idea of salaries in Canada for a Dental Hygienist, visit our Jobillico salary tool.