Saint-Laurent - QC
Become Software Engineer
Job Description Software Engineer
As all types of companies and industries adapt to the digital marketplace, the role of the software engineer is becoming more and more central to the business world. A software engineer is the person designs, upgrades and repairs software programs and computer systems, creating much of the infrastructure of the modern tech-based world. Starting a career as a software engineer requires specialized education and training, and the commitment to continuous learning as technology continues to develop at a fast rate. The best software engineers know how to use technology and software to devise unique solutions that will help employers get an edge on the competition. It is an important and in-demand, role and software engineers will likely find many career opportunities into the foreseeable future.
5 Requirements to be Software Engineer
- A degree, diploma certification in software engineering or computer studies
- Very strong computer skills with in-depth knowledge of many programs and OS
- Able to understand and write computer code, html, etc
- Strong aptitude for problem solving and devising innovative solutions
- An open mindset regarding continuous learning
What does a Software Engineer do ?
On a basic level, software engineers spend their days designing new software, updating existing programs and troubleshooting any problems that may arise. A software engineer may be employed by a start-up or tech company – think Apple, Google, Microsoft – in which case they will spend much of their time researching and coding. Alternatively, many software engineers can be employed in the IT departments of private companies, in which case there are responsible for an entire network and the attached devices. They ensure that a company’s systems are secure and operating at peak efficiency, train other employees on proper use of the programs, and are on hand to fix any issues as soon as possible in order to not interrupt customer service.
- Research and create new software programs
- Test and develop software and programs
- Write code and use specific software design programs
- Detect and fix various bugs and glitches
- Upgrade operating systems, computers and devices
- Design and update security systems and network protections
- Create custom programs to meet business needs
- Suggest upgrades and modifications to improve efficiency
- Troubleshoot tech and software issues
- Provide quick IT and tech support
- Collaborate with larger IT team to provide company-wide service
How to become Software Engineer
Software engineers typically require specific education and training, such as a degree or diploma in computer sciences, software engineering or a related field. Certain jobs roles will require additional certifications in specific programs and applications.
Sectors of activity that are recruiting a Software Engineer
Software engineers are recruited by the tech and IT sectors.
Outlook and career development as a Software Engineer
The long-term employment outlook for software engineers is considered to be good across the country. The tech sector is continuing to grow and expand, a trend that will likely continue. It is predicted that there will be more available software engineer job roles available in the next 10 years than there will be qualified job seekers to fill them.
Where does a Software Engineer work
A software engineer typically works in offices, where they have access to the tech and programs they need to create new software applications. Due to the fact that many software engineers only need a computer to work, some can be self-employed as independent contractors and work from wherever they choose.
Other names of the profession Software Engineer
According to the CNP code (national classification of occupations), here are the additional titles for a software engineer:
- Software developers
- Software design engineer
- Application architect
- Computer software engineer
- Software testing engineer
- Systems integration engineer - software
- Software architect
- Software designer
Companies that are recruiting Software Engineer
Software Engineer Salaries
To get an idea of salaries in Canada for a Software Engineer, visit our Jobillico salary tool.