Quebec City - QC
Job Description: Plumber
A plumber is a tradesperson who specializes in the installation, maintenance and repair of plumbing systems. These systems can be used for potable water, liquids, gas, waste disposal and other needs. A Plumber can be an independent contractor working for individual clients, part of a construction and maintenance crew on residential and commercial properties, or be employed as part of the maintenance staff for large companies, organizations and governmental departments.
5 Requirements To Be A Plumber
- Earn of Certificate of Qualification (or provincial equivalent)
- Complete an apprenticeship training program
- Join and be accredited provincial trade organization (ex. Ontario College of Trades)
- Be familiar with all plumbing tools, component and equipment
- Have strong technical skills and the ability to problem solve
What Does A Plumber Do ?
Plumbers install, maintain and repair plumbing systems of all different types and sizes. A job can range from fixing a broken sink in a residential home to designing an entire waste disposal system for newly-constructed industrial facilities. If a plumber is a self-employed contractor, they own their own company and can choose which jobs to accept, leading to a great deal of variety both in terms of schedule and the types of tasks being performed. For plumbers employed as part of a construction company or a large maintenance team, their schedule and tasks can be much more predictable and regular. A plumbers tasks can including:
- Designing a plumbing system for residential, commercial and industrial properties
- Submitting blueprints, drawings and other official documents to appropriate authorities
- Fixing broken systems and components, such as clogged drains and cracked pipes
- Reading blueprints and technical drawings to determine piping layout
- Installing new plumbing systems, fixtures, fittings and components
- Coordinating with municipal officials to ensure proper water flow and waste disposal
- Inspecting plumbing systems and proposing maintenance and repair plans
- Be on-call to address emergency situations
How To Become A Plumber
To become a plumber, you must have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, complete a certificate program with an accredited school and pass required courses, complete a multi-year apprenticeship with a licensed plumber before successfully gaining admission to an accredited provincial trade organization such the Ontario College of Trades. Trade certification is required in many provinces, but not all. Aspiring plumbers should also confirm the regulations of their provincial/territorial jurisdiction.
Sectors Recruiting For A Plumber
Plumbers work primarily in the construction and engineering sectors. They can work on all types of construction sites, and be collaborated with residential, commercial, industrial and civil engineers. Construction firms and government agencies often recruit for qualified plumbers.
Career Outlook For A Plumber
The long-term employment outlook for plumbers is considered to be fair across most of the country. Plumbing systems will continue to require installation, maintenance and repairs performed by experience and qualified individuals. The number of people seeking to enter the profession over the next 10 years is predicted to be roughly equal to the number of available jobs, meaning there will be competition for job roles.
Where Does A Plumber Work
A plumber works at any location with a plumbing system and piping. This includes residential homes, commercial offices, industrial properties, construction sites, apartment buildings, factories, manufacturing plants, retail stores and more. They can work for larger companies or be self-employed.
Related Job Titles
According to the CNP code (national classification of occupations), here are the additional titles for a plumber:
- Apprentice-pipefitter-plumber (at the start of their career)
- Apprentice installer of heating devices (at the start of their career)
- Plumbing-heating mechanic
- Heating and plumbing device installer
- Pipe-plumber or pipe-plumber
Companies Recruiting For Plumber
Quebec City - QC
Lévis - QC
See all recruiting companies Plumber
To get an idea of salaries in Canada for a Plumber, visit our Jobillico salary tool.