Gatineau - QC
Job Description Naturopath
Naturopaths are practitioners of alternative medicine. They believe in using natural ingredients, remedies and treatments for illnesses and conditions. Naturopaths purport to treat the body, mind and spirit, with techniques also focusing on the causes of pain such as stress and anxiety. Due to the fact that they are not medical doctors, Naturopaths practice in private clinics and offices. Some Naturopaths may have additional training to homeopathy and other forms of alternative medicine.
- Complete a 4-year accredited program in naturopathy
- Register with the provincial regulatory body (i.e. the College of Naturopaths Of Ontario)
- Get Professional Liability Insurance as required by law
- Possess a strong working knowledge of ingredients, medicines and treats
- Have strong one-on-one communication skills and ease working with patients
What does a Naturopath do ?
A Naturopath using natural methods to treat and alleviate various types of health issues. They meet with clients to discuss their health issues and design a customized treatment plan to meet their unique health needs. With additional training, they can use various treatment methods including massage, acupuncture and acupressure, spinal manipulation, reflexology, and herbal remedies. Typical duties of a Naturopath include:
- Meet with clients and discuss healthcare needs
- Identify issues related to physical and overall health
- Use natural remedies, ingredients and medicine to treat issues
- Use of natural methods such as massages, acupuncture and related treatments
- Keep records and perform related administrative tasks
How to become Naturopath
To become a naturopath, there are specific educational and training requirements. Completing a multi-year degree or diploma in naturopathy from an accidented school will give people the learned knowledge and practical skills needed to be a naturopath. Once schooling is complete, naturopaths will need to register with the regulatory body of their province or territory. In Ontario, for example, this is the College Of Naturopaths Of Ontario.
Sectors of activity that are recruiting a Naturopath
Naturopaths work in the healthcare sector, but typically do not have a great deal of overlap with doctors in hospitals. Naturopaths frequently work in private clinics or offices, or even provide one-on-one counseling and care in residential homes. Private clinics can recruit for naturopaths, and they can also go into business for themselves.
Outlook and career development as a Naturopath
The career outlook for naturopaths is considered good. There has been an increased emphasis on wellness and well-being, which has contributed to an increase in visitors to naturopaths and an unemployment rate of 0.4% for the profession.
Where does a Naturopath work
A naturopath commonly works in private clinics and offices, or provides certain services in residential homes. While some patients may be referred to naturopaths by medical doctors, naturopaths themselves do not commonly work in hospitals, healthcare clinics or doctors offices.
Other names of the profession Naturopath
According to the CNP code (national classification of occupations), here are the additional titles for positions related to naturopaths:
- doctor / doctor in podiatric medicine (D.P.M.)
- naturopathic doctor (D.N.)
- doctor of osteopathy
- osteopathic doctor
- foot doctor
Companies that are recruiting Naturopath
Saint-Hyacinthe - QC
Varennes - QC
See all recruiting companies Naturopath
To get an idea of salaries in Canada for a Naturopath, visit our Jobillico salary tool.