Montreal - QC
Become Data Scientist
Job Description Data Scientist
A data scientist collects and analyzes data, which can take many different forms. Data scientists have specialized computer and technical skills which allows them to create programs and databases to collect specific forms of data and perform statistical analysis. The type of data they collect will differ depending on the needs of their employer or individual clients, which is why it is important they be well versed in the basic techniques of database creation and ongoing analysis.
5 Requirements to be Data Scientist
- Degree or diploma in Computer Science or related field
- Additional certification in database creation and management
- Strong technical knowledge related to data science
- Communication skills to explain complex data results to clients
- Eagners to continuously learn the latest data science techniques
What does a Data Scientist do ?
A data scientist is in charge of collecting, organizing and analyzing data. They do this by creating and implementing data collection plans and databases for storage. This information is important to tech and IT development firms, and it allows them to target their products and development in a direction that will meet the needs of their customers. Data scientists gather the knowledge needed to shape further research and development. Typical duties of a data scientist include:
- Design and create customized database
- Oversee the collection and organization of data
- Analyze data for trends and hidden indications
- Design data test models to conduct research tests
- Create policies and practices governing database management
- Coordinate with data admin team to conduct long-term projects
- Conduct presentations and explain data results to clients
How to become Data Scientist
Data scientists have a strong educational background. They will need at least a university Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field. Additional certifications in computer programming, database management and specific applications will also be an asset. Data scientists should look to join large firms in the tech sector who are expanding their client base. When applying for these jobs, data scientists may be asked to show practical examples of their data management skills.
Sectors of activity that are recruiting a Data Scientist
Data scientists are recruited by businesses and research firms in the tech sector.
Outlook and career development as a Data Scientist
The long-term employment outlook for data scientists is considered fair to good. There is a predicted labour shortage over the next 10 years, with over 18,000 available data scientists jobs and only 16,000 qualified job seekers looking to fill them.
Where does a Data Scientist work
A data scientist typically works in offices, with access to an internal company database. It is becoming increasingly common for data scientists to work freelance, offering their services virtually to multiple clients and work remotely from their own home or office.
Other names of the profession Data Scientist
According to the CNP code (national classification of occupations), here are the additional titles for a data scientist:
- Database analyst
- Database architect
- Database administrator (DBA)
- Data administrator
- Data dictionary administrator
Companies that are recruiting Data Scientist
Data Scientist Salaries
To get an idea of salaries in Canada for a Data Scientist, visit our Jobillico salary tool.