Gatineau - QC
Become Certified Sex Therapist
Job Description Certified Sex Therapist
A Certified Sex Therapist is a healthcare professional who specializes in the study and treatment of issues related to human sexuality. They work with individuals and in group settings to conduct research, offer counseling, and promote sexual health. A Certified Sex Therapist can be an educator, who provides knowledge related to proper sexual health. They may also work for universities and private clinics conducting research related to human sexuality.
- Master Degree in a related discipline (therapy, counselling, psychology, social work or sexology)
- Certified by a provincal organization (Board of Examiners in Sex Therapy and Counselling in Ontario)
- Strong scientific and clinical knowledge of human sexuality
- Communication skills to work with people and groups
- Commitment to helping people addressing highly personal issues
What does a Certified Sex Therapist do ?
A Certified Sex Therapist works with individuals, couple and groups on issues related to human sexuality. They can provide counselling and therapy for problems related to sexuality, or perform research into large issues of human sexuality. They can work in healthcare clinics, scientific institutes, research universities and in private practices. Typical duties of a Certified Sex Therapist may include:
- Meet with clients dealing with issues of human sexuality
- Provide therapeutic counselling for issues of sexuality
- Promote proper sexual health practices
- Conduct research on matters related to human sexuality
- Publish papers and analysis on issues of human sexuality
- Keep secure records and files of treatments and studies
How to become Certified Sex Therapist
Certified sex therapists have specific education requirments. Aspiring therapists must earn a Master’s Degree in Psychology, Counselling or a related field, with specialization in matters of sexual health. Their education will often include supervised work under an experienced counsellor or therapist. They must then gain membership in the correct provincial regulatory body, such as the Ordre professionnel des sexologues du Québec, in order to be a registered therapist.
Sectors of activity that are recruiting a Certified Sex Therapist
Certified sex therapists are recruited by the public and private healthcare sectors.
Outlook and career development as a Certified Sex Therapist
The long-term employment outlook for certified sex therapists is considered fair to good across the country. The number of job openings is predicted to be nearly equal to the amount of job seekers looking to become therapists, leading to opportunities for those with the correct qualifications.
Where does a Certified Sex Therapist work
A certified sex therapist offers theaputic services in an office or clinic setting. They may also perform clinical research in university or educational settings. They can share space in a facility with other therapists and counsellors, or operate their own private counselling practice.
Other names of the profession Certified Sex Therapist
According to the CNP code (national classification of occupations), here are the additional titles for a certified sex therapists:
- Rehabilitation counsellor
- Marriage counsellor
- Family counsellor
- Registered clinical counsellor
- Registered marriage and family therapist
Companies that are recruiting Certified Sex Therapist
Beaconsfield - QC
Saint-Hyacinthe - QC
See all recruiting companies Certified Sex Therapist
Certified Sex Therapist Salaries
To get an idea of salaries in Canada for a Certified Sex Therapist, visit our Jobillico salary tool.