Requisition ID: 104770
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 0 - 25,000
Type of Remuneration: Other
For information and to determine eligibility for Department of Health and Wellness Incentives, please contact Physician.Resources@novascotia.ca
Promoting a culture of excellence & professionalism, the Sydney Community Family Practice Lead works with the Department of Family Practice and NSHA management and staff to provide leadership and support to the community and hospitalist family physicians, consistent with the overall strategic and operational direction of the Department of Family Practice and aligned with NSHA strategic imperatives.
Accountable to the Head, Department of Family Practice (Eastern Zone) and the Zone Medical Executive Director (Eastern Zone).
- Head, Department of Family Practice (Eastern Zone)
- Zone Medical Executive Director (Eastern Zone)
- Zone Executive Director (Eastern Zone)
- VP Medicine
- Cape Breton Regional Hospitalists (including Hospitalist Lead), Family Physicians and Consultants
- Sydney Community Family Physicians and Consultants
- Department Site Chiefs, Cape Breton Regional Hospital
- Site Chiefs of other facilities in the Network (Glace Bay, New Waterford, North Sydney)
- Cape Breton Regional Hospital Directors and Managers
- Primary Health Care Leadership - Health Services Managers, Health Services Leads, Director (Eastern Zone)
- Cape Breton Regional Hospital and Department of Family Practice administrative staff (i.e. Coordinator, DFP)
- Provide representation, leadership and support for the Sydney community family physicians and hospitalist staff (including residents and medical learners):
- Chair regular monthly meetings of the department
- Meet as required with family physicians, hospitalists and other key stakeholders in the community and hospital to support activities associated with implementation of collaborative family practice teams, the hospitalist inpatient care model, models of care in long term care facilities, etc.
- Support the development and wellness of department members, including team communication and function.
- Liaise with leaders and members of other departments as required to address issues affecting relationships between family physicians and specialists.
- Attend meetings of the Zone Medical Advisory Committee.
- Ensure that department members are aware of and compliant with the NSHA Medical Staff Bylaws and Rules and Regulations.
- Support the Zone Department Head and Zone Medical Executive Director, and work with NSHA management and staff as required, to address matters relating to family physicians, based on existing knowledge of the community and relationships with community physicians.
- Meet with the Zone Department Head and Zone Medical Executive Director in person or electronically as required. Meetings will focus on community and departmental updates, as well as the concerns and perspectives of department members.
- Advise and assist the Zone Department Head and Zone Medical Executive Director in community family physician recruitment and retention.
This includes activities such as:
- Contacting retiring physicians, reviewing data gathered about their practice, making recommendations regarding replacements.
- Liaising and meeting with potential new recruits, working with the Zone Recruitment Officer, making recommendations regarding payment models and deliverables.
- Supporting, orienting and mentoring new recruits as they integrate into the community.
- Work with Family Practice Site Leads in other facilities in the Network (Glace Bay, New Waterford, North Sydney) as required to address common issues relating to family physicians, including the potential development of a network family physician recruitment and retention committee.
- Assess minor complaints or SIMS reports concerning family physicians within the community. This would include activities such as initial trouble shooting and data gathering, family meetings, resolving minor complaints, and referring more significant issues to the Department Head or Zone Medical Executive Director as indicated.
- Participate in leadership development and demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and the acquisition and refinement of leadership capabilities.
MD (WITH OR WITHOUT SPECIALTY) WITH AN INTEREST IN MEDICAL LEADERSHIP AND EVIDENCE OF PAST AND ONGOING LEADERSHIP TRAINING.
EXPERIENCE AS A FAMILY PHYSICIAN
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Application Requirement: Please submit your expression of interest with cover letter and CV outlining your experience in relation to the accountabilities for the position to Lisa Bedford, Manager Department of Family Practice, Nova Scotia Health Authority email@example.com
Compensation: Stipend of $20,000 in 12 monthly installments
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.