Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
We have an immediate, rewarding career opportunity for a First Cook to join our team at Ravensview, part of Homewood Health, the national leader in mental health and addictions treatment in Canada.
What’s in it for you?
• Competitive compensation including comprehensive benefits and RRSP-matching program
• Free staff parking
• Onsite dining room with gourmet meals prepared by our Red-Seal Chef and talented team
• Onsite training including nationally-recognized CARES Program, first aid and the opportunity to develop knowledge of mental health and addictions care in our Ravensview Monthly Grand Rounds Education Series
• Access to professionally-designed fitness facility, serene outdoor spaces for walking and running, and direct access to John Dean Park
Homewood Ravensview is a private 75-bed mental health, trauma and addiction facility offering evidence-based, medically-led, inpatient services for first responders, military, veterans, executives & professionals, adults, and young adults. Located in North Saanich on 28 acres of forested hillside, Homewood Ravensview offers clients a comfortable and safe environment featuring serene ocean views from spacious rooms, welcoming common areas and a world-class team of physicians, psychiatrists, counsellors and 24-hour nursing professionals.
As First Cook, you will be an integral part of a collaborative team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers. This is a full-time permanent position that requires the ability to work varied hours including some evening and weekends.
What you'll be doing
• Support the development and management of all food planning, production & preparation activities
• Support the development and establishment of exemplary food presentation standards and techniques
• Ensure adherence to high level service principles, quality culinary standards & operations management for kitchen and dining areas
• Work to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while supervising kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced
• Accountable for adherence to infection control, occupational health and safety, safe food handling and applicable policies & procedures
• Keep informed of upcoming functions to ensure that all items are ordered, received and prepared on time and up to standard
• Ensure that all menu items are promptly prepared within reasonable time and plate presentation is up to Chef’s standards
• Ensure minimal wastage by preparing and storing food correctly and ensuring the sorting of organic waste
• Manage kitchen shift operations and ensure compliance with all food and beverage policies, standards and procedures
• Estimate daily production needs on a weekly basis and communicate production needs to kitchen personnel daily
What we're looking for
• A degree or diploma recognized in hospitality: Culinary Arts, Hotel & Restaurant Management, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Professional culinary diploma (Red Seal Chef Status) is an asset
• Valid Food Safe Level II certification
• 3 years of recent related experience in a high volume food service environment
• Experience with Health and Safety and Infection Control in a food service environment
• Ability to communicate and interact with diverse individuals, build trust and develop rapport
• Experience in a specialized setting with knowledge of addictions or mental health would be an asset
• Adaptable and flexible to the unique and changing needs of guests
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, and as required by BC Health Authorities, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Ravensview requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada
Homewood Ravensview acknowledges with respect the WSÁNEĆ people on whose territory it operates and recognizes that their historical relationship with the land continues to this day.
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.