This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Public transportation nearby
Mission Statement: Homes First Society develops and provides affordable, stable housing and support services to break the cycle of homelessness for people with the fewest housing options.
We are growing and are looking for Community Shelter Workers. It should be noted that it is a requirement of the role that staff rotate into all shifts - there are Day, Afternoon, & Overnight shifts and each rotation is four months long.
As a Community Housing Worker, you would aid clients in their housing by assessing and supporting their needs, and adhering to the mission statement, policies, and procedures of Homes First Society. Responsibilities involve:
- Providing support to clients who are facing challenges including Poverty, Mental Health, Addictions, Abuse, and Social Isolation.
- Providing support with basic Life Management Skills, such as Assertive Communication, Goal Setting, Working with Feedback, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving, and Managing Change.
- Assist and improve tenants’ Self Esteem while helping them access resources for health and well-being.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals who present hoarding behaviors.
- Use of Case Management as a tool to support residents in meeting their goals.
- Working independently and as part of a team.
- Applying knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent.
- Several years of experience working with people who are homeless, under-housed and who are hard to house
- Knowledge of tenant population, diversity issues, anti-discrimination practices, and systemic reasons for homelessness.
- Use of excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C, with Certificates in Crisis Prevention and Intervention would be an asset.
- Ability to work evenings.
Submit Your Resume to:
Homes First Society, 90 Shuter St, 2nd Floor. Fax: 416-214-1873, Attention: Kayla Piper
Or email: email@example.com
When applying, please quote JCSW21. Please no phone calls.
Working in an environment where there may be smoke is required.
The successful applicant must provide a criminal record check that is satisfactory to Homes First Society
Homes First Society is an equal opportunity employer
Staff lead residents through the ravine and along the home stretch located behind the shelter. Our long-time resident Zelma joined it for the first time. Seeing the grapevines and the apple trees in people's backyard, Zelma said it reminded her of a time as a child she use to climb trees for fruits and coffee beans.
This employer is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
En : Advanced
En : Advanced
Internal reference No. JCSW21
Other Homes First's offers that may interest you