Requisition ID: 327394
Position Number: 20043225
Posting End Date: Open until filled
City: Swan River
Site: Shared Health
Work Location: Swan River Valley Health Centre
Department / Unit: Swan River Laboratory
Job Stream: Clinical
Union: MGEU T/P DSM
Anticipated Start Date - End Date: ASAP - 11/15/2023
Reason for Term: Maternity Leave
Anticipated Shift: Days
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Salary: $20.352, $20.962, $21.590, $22.240, $22.890, $23.591, $24.302
Travel to Other Sites May Be Required
Shared Health leads the planning and coordinates the integration of patient-centred clinical and preventive health services across Manitoba. The organization also delivers some province-wide health services and supports centralized administrative and business functions for Manitoba health organizations.
Under the general supervision of the Charge Technologist or designate, the Medical Laboratory Assistant (MLA) is responsible for assisting the laboratory in its role of sample triaging, accessioning, and processing of specimens. The MLA may also perform some basic routine procedures according to established protocols. Performs phlebotomies according to departmental policy. The MLA will maintain a safe environment in accordance with professional and provincial guidelines and ensure compliance with quality assurance programs and maintain standards put forth by Accreditation. Functions are conducted in accordance with the Mission and Values of Shared Health, current policies and procedures and applicable legislation.
Previous related experience preferred.
- Completed Grade 12 or equivalent, Manitoba Standards, is required.
- Completion of a Medical Laboratory Assistant program is preferred.
- Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) Medical Laboratory Assistant Certification preferred.
- Windows computer environment required.
- Microsoft Office programs preferred.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Sterile techniques and routine practices preferred.
- 50 - 55 w.p.m. key-boarding skills an asset.
- Apply basic math concepts such as fractions, percentages, and ratios.
- Follow oral and written instructions precisely with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills required in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Work under pressure.
- Maintains confidentiality with all information entrusted to the position.
- Fluent language skills (written and oral) in both French and English may be required.
- Ability to perform duties as described.
- Mental and physical health necessary to meet the demands of the job required.
This term position may end earlier as outlined in your collective agreement.
We have a unique ability to work together to make health care better. If you want to make a difference and contribute to supporting the health of your family, friends and neighbours, please apply today.
Interested candidates should select the ''Apply'' icon below to upload their cover letter, resume and copy of licenses/certification.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions in Shared Health that combine to equal more than 1.0 FTE.
Shared Health values and supports employment equity and workplace diversity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.