This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Requisition ID: 28009
Position Number: 20068801
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Site: St. Boniface Hospital
Department / Unit: Health Care Ethics Services
Job Stream: Clinical Support
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days; On Call
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We’re united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Under the portfolio of Mission, Ethics and Spiritual Health, funded by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (CHCM) and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA), the Health Care Ethics Service (HCES) provides a comprehensive ethics program on-site at St. Boniface Hospital (SBH), as well as, to the CHCM and its Communities of Service (CoS). While the HCES’s primary commitment (minimum 70%) is to CHCM CoS, the HCES responds to requests to contribute to ethics education and consultation from various external stakeholders (to a maximum of 30%), such as serving as a faculty in graduate and post-graduate programs associated with the University of Manitoba and/or research collaboration with peers in bioethics locally and internationally (e.g., Catholic Health Association of Manitoba, Salvation Army Ethics Centre, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba, CancerCare Manitoba, Catholic Health Alliance of Canada, Canadian Bioethics Society, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities).
Reporting to the President & CEO and the Director of Mission, Ethics and Spiritual Health, the CLINICAL ETHICIST works collaboratively with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) to create integrated, sustainable, and accountable ethics in medical practice promoting a thriving moral community to provide excellent patient care. The CLINICAL ETHICIST supports organizational capacity for sound ethical decision making by planning, developing and implementing Ethics Services in six broad domains: ethics education; clinical and organizational ethics consultation; policy development and review; clinical/research ethics; committee work; and review of research involving human participants. The CLINICAL ETHICIST must demonstrate a deep understanding and sensitivity about ethical issues within Catholic-sponsored health care settings.
The CLINICAL ETHICIST consults on ethical issues arising in relationship between St. Boniface Hospital and other health/research entities, religious and academic organizations. The CLINICAL ETHICIST provides leadership on ethical concerns by serving on appropriate internal and external committees. Geographically located at St. Boniface Hospital, the Health Care Ethics Service also supports organizational capacity in ethics for the Communities of Service that are owned and operated by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (i.e. Actionmarguerite, Aulneau Renewal Centre, Centre de santé Saint-Boniface, Marymound, Sara Riel, St. Boniface Hospital, St. Joseph’s Residence, St.Amant, Ste. Rose General Hospital, Winnipegosis & District Health Centre and Youville Centre).
- A minimum two (2) years’ experience in clinical ethics is required.
- Previous relevant teaching experience in a health care setting.
- A Terminal degree in Medicine, Law, Bioethics, Philosophy or Moral Theology is preferred; however, consideration will also be given to candidates with a Master’s degree in a relevant area.
- Completion of a Clinical Ethics Fellowship or its equivalent is required.
- Preference of a Terminal degree and a Master’s degree in Ethics.
- Membership in the Canadian Bioethics Society (CBS) and/or the American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities (ASBH) is an asset. A willingness to become a member of the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada Ethics Network is required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities related to alternate dispute resolution/mediation and negotiation.
- A high degree of understanding and sensitivity about ethical issues within Catholic-sponsored health care settings, including a working knowledge of Catholic moral teaching.
- Demonstrated experience with policy review and development.
- Demonstrated experience with bioethics committees.
- Demonstrated excellence in collaborative intra-professional relationships in a health care setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in building trust and respect in morally and emotionally charged situations with individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated teaching competence with a solid understanding of the principles of adult and transformative education.
- Knowledge of research ethics standards.
- Demonstrated competence in verbal and written communication.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Winnipeg Regional Health Authority's offers that may interest you