This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Job Title: Older Adult Outreach Nurse (RPN/RN)Work Site:
Mental Health Geriatric, Older Adult Mental Health - Various Sites in North & West Vancouver, BCStatus: Regular Part Time (0.53 FTE)Start Date:
As soon as possibleSalary: $42.25 - $51.78 per hourHours:
Dyas off: Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, alternating ThursdaysReference#: 135648-rro
Come work as an Older Adult Outreach Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Nurse OR Registered Psychiatric Nurse to join the North Shore Older Adult Mental Health team as an Older Adult Outreach Nurse. This position is focused in working with older adults who are experiencing dementia or have major psychiatric disorders, concurrent disorders and/or problems normally associated with aging. Apply today to join our team!
As an Older Adult Outreach Nurse you will:
- Perform the following to promote integration and continuity across the care continuum:
- psychogeriatric assessments
- crisis intervention
- case coordination
- treatment planning
- facilitating/co-facilitating individual/group sessions
- individual counseling and education and support
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ''going first'' when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Three (3) year’s recent related experience working in geriatric mental health and addictions or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A valid B.C. Driver’s License and use of a vehicle are required.
- Second language (e.g. Farsi) is an asset.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of gerontology and geriatric psychiatry and nursing standards of the Canadian Gerontological Nursing Association and current practices in Older Adult Mental Health and Addiction.
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders.
- Knowledge of assessment and treatment of psychiatric clients including geriatric psychopathology of depression, delusions, delirium, dementia as well as principles of management of personality disorders.
- Knowledge of issues associated with aging, chronic illness and psychosocial factors such as caregiver issues, family dynamics and communication patterns.
- Knowledge of detoxification/withdrawal management, abstinence/harm reduction models of service for geriatric patients with substance use disorders.
- Knowledge of psychopharmacology (indications and side-effects).
- Knowledge of crisis intervention and psychiatric services/community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to provide counseling, psycho-education and consultation services.
- Knowledge of the roles of both hospital and community geriatric services in client care and the ability to act as liaison between services.
- Knowledge of theories and systems of family dynamics and end-of-life issues.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform relevant assessments using validated tools.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate a holistic care plan including holistic, physical, behavioural, social and emotional factors.
- Demonstrated ability to develop rapport, trust and ethical relationships with clients/families, family care providers and other health care professionals and providers.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physician, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a consultative/collaborative manner as a team member, leader and facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to promote client-focused care that demonstrates care for and with clients and significant others, sensitive to diverse cultures and preference, client advocacy and social justice concerns.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to client, including abuse and neglect legislation.
- Demonstrated ability adjust to new or unexpected events and deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of theory and practice to a case management.
- Demonstrated ability to employ effective conflict resolution and reconciliation approaches and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver educational programs and materials for staff/patients/clients and families based on educations theories, principles and best practices.
- Knowledge of basic research, e.g. research ethics, research question, hypothesis and qualitative and quantitative data analyses methods.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, schedule and prioritize work.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of equipment and in the techniques appropriate to nursing treatment.
- Ability to operate related equipment including relevant computer applications.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Vancouver Coastal Health's offers that may interest you
- Job posting | Information Management/Information Technology Services (IMITS) - Opportunities across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC
- Job posting | Biomedical Engineering - Career Opportunities Across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC
- Job posting | Health Emergency Management - Career Opportunities Across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC