This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Job Title: Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse (RPN/RN)Work Site: Psychiatry In Patient, Powell River General Hospital - Powell River, BCStatus: Regular Part Time - Vacation Relief (0.87 FTE)Start Date:
As soon as possibleSalary: $35.53 - $46.65 per hourHours:
Days off: RotatingReference#: 140667-pni
Come work as a Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the Psychiatry Inpatient team at Powell River Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health and Substance Use Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide individualized direct nursing care, discharge planning and case coordination services to a wide range of clients with severe and persistent mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dementia and be responsible for the full range of clinical practice and the client-centred rehabilitation program.
- Enhance the quality of life of the client/family.
- Perform physical and psychosocial rehabilitation assessments.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care givers and family members to develop, implement, evaluate and modify individualized strength-based treatment plans.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Administer prescribed medicines, monitor client response and provide/demonstrate ongoing information to the client/family on activities of daily living, use of medication and side-effects and integration of illness to their lifestyle.
- Prepare and maintain client records according to established standards.
- Participate in team meetings, engage in team planning and quality improvement activities and maintain and update your own knowledge.
Loan Forgiveness: Recent graduates in select in-demand occupations may be eligible to have their B.C. Student Loan and/or their Canada Student Loan forgiven by agreeing to work at publicly-funded facilities in underserved communities in B.C.
ABOUT POWELL RIVER, BC
On the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia, where endless green mountains meet sheltered Pacific Ocean waters, Powell River provides a stimulating blend of outdoor adventure and cultural amenities. Originally founded as a resource extraction centre - once home to the world's largest pulp and paper mill - Powell River now offers adventurers countless opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, golfing, boating, hiking, biking, fishing, and scuba diving. This area is host to world-class art galleries, tremendous dining opportunities, and memorable events and festivals.
On the doorstep of both Vancouver and Vancouver Island, the Powell River region offers an array of experiences for travelers of all kinds, no matter the season. Experience the legendary Sunshine Coast Trail and Powell Forest Canoe Route, rock-climb the Eldred Valley, snowshoe in the Knuckleheads; this is the adventure destination you've long been waiting for.
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, Bella Bella, Bella Coola, and the Central Coast. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ''going first'' when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or a Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Completion of a minimum 6 week or 240 hours of clinical practicum/preceptorship in a mental health setting supplemented by completion of coursework in mental health or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of concurrent disorders, substance use and abuse, harm reduction strategies including assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of conceptual models of psychiatric care including: person and family centered care, trauma-informed care, recovery model in mental illness and psychosocial rehabilitation methodology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of impact of social, cultural and family systems on health outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to provide nursing assessments and interventions such as facilitating group process, conflict resolution, crisis interventions, individual and group counselling.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans and anticipate and respond to potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for clients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated skill in performing autonomous scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff - both current and prospective - have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Vancouver Coastal Health's offers that may interest you
- Job posting | Information Management/Information Technology Services (IMITS) - Opportunities across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC
- Job posting | Biomedical Engineering - Career Opportunities Across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC
- Job posting | Health Emergency Management - Career Opportunities Across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC