This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
As soon as possibleSalary: $36.23 - $47.58 per hourHours: VariousReference#: 146187-ach
Come work as an HIV/AIDS Outreach Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Nurse to join the team at Three Bridges Community Health Centre with the STOP HIV/AIDS Initiatives. Apply today to join our team!
As a HIV/AIDS Outreach Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health, you will:
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide outreach services to vulnerable/marginalized clients and communities who are at high risk for HIV/AIDS.
- Provide frontline primary health care services to clients in the form of immediate assessment, intervention and treatment.
- Provide pre- and post-test counseling for the HIV antibody test, test results, and ongoing support and referral to meet the physical and psychosocial needs of HIV/AIDS clients.
- Provide harm reduction education, counseling and support from a nursing perspective on issues relating to Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) and HIV in non-traditional settings such as gay bars, drop-ins, on the street and other meeting places.
- Distribute harm reduction supplies.
- Collaborate with other community-based agencies to reach populations at high risk for acquiring STDs and HIV.
- Liaise with community-based AIDS organizations or other organizations to plan, develop, implement and deliver preventive HIV/AIDS educational material workshops and programs to targeted groups.
- Identify the health issues, behaviours, needs, barriers and challenges for at-risk populations.
- Work collaboratively in team settings to develop creative strategies to address the challenges and participates in research projects, and surveys as required.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two (2) years’ recent related experience providing screening, assessment and treatment services to clients at risk or living with HIV/AIDS or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience performing HIV testing and certified nursing practices (STI testing and treatment, pelvic exams, follow up of communicable/sexually transmitted diseases).
- Certification in Reproductive Health (STIs) with BCCNM.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of nursing theory and practice within a client-centered approach.
- Knowledge of Community development and health promotion principles and practices.
- Broad knowledge of BCCNM Standards for Practice for registered nurses.
- Broad knowledge of HIV/AIDS, STIs and communicable disease control.
- Broad knowledge of mental health and addictions.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities and HIV/AIDS community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with clients and their families, health care staff and community partners.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze situations, problem solve and facilitate resolutions.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, take initiative, be flexible, and work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make nursing practices decisions
- Demonstrated ability to manage aggressive and suicidal behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to identify community resources appropriate to client needs.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a culturally diverse population including Aboriginal communities and sexual minorities.
- Demonstrated de-escalation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation, leadership and work direction.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ''going first'' when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Vancouver Coastal Health's offers that may interest you
- Job posting | Information Management/Information Technology Services (IMITS) - Opportunities across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC
- Job posting | Biomedical Engineering - Career Opportunities Across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC
- Job posting | Health Emergency Management - Career Opportunities Across the Lower Mainland | Vancouver,BC