Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and TechnicalHospital Assistant Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre
(Less than 24 hours a week)
Please apply by emailing email@example.com and sending your:
- Cover Letter
- Area of Interest
The Hospital Assistant participates as a member of the healthcare team of the Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre (OVC HSC). Under the direction of the Assistant Manager, Operations the incumbent will be responsible for providing hospital support in the areas of infection control, client services, inventory control and technical support.
Specific duties include:
- Cleaning and disinfecting instruments, rooms and surgical areas. Washing, drying, folding and putting in-house laundry away
- Sorting waste into specific streams such as sharps, biohazards, designated waste. Cleaning rooms and areas after procedures have been completed
- Monitoring after hours client service functions such as billing, answering call centre requests and contacting clinicians when required
- Updating files, WHIMIS binder and stocking lists when required
- Monitoring inventory throughout the hospital
- Ensuring various trollies and carts for emergency and routine procedures are stocked
- Monitoring the use of intravenous fluids and maintaining supply quotas for surgical/medical supplies and equipment. Informing the supervisor when stocks are low
- Relocating dirty laundry from its respective areas to the pick-up area and delivering biohazard waste to the HSC’s storage shed in a timely manner
- May be utilized on occasion to assist with patient care which would include restraining animals for various procedures by using proper technique to protect employees and animals
Requirements of the position include:
- Secondary School Diploma plus some related experience
- Animal Care Attendant, 1 yr. College Certificate Course preferred
- Working knowledge of common computer software including Hospital Management Information System software is preferred
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail
Candidates must be physically able to repeatedly conduct the diverse range of motions (primarily bending, lifting and carrying) as required to perform the core duties of the position.
Flexibility in scheduling is required. The incumbent will be required to work a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends.
The successful applicant will be required to have the rabies vaccine series and provide proof of protective rabies titre.
Hourly rate $19.63 - $21.95 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.