This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
CUPE Job Posting #864386
Position: Registered Practical Nurse
Site: Lyndhurst Centre, Toronto Rehab
Department: Spinal Cord Rehabilitation Program - Unit 1B
Reports to: Manager, Program Services
Salary Range: $30.669 to $31.860 per hour (Start rate: determined in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: 0.3 FTE Day/Evening rotation
Status: Temporary Part-time
“Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”
A leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute brings together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions.
The Registered Practical Nurse practises in accordance with relevant legislation/standards to provide compassionate, collaborative and competent care, while meeting the legal and ethical requirements of the profession. The principal responsibilities include: planning, managing and evaluating nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of an interdisciplinary practice; using current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients and families; participating in interprofessional team care planning forums, inter-professional rounds and family conferences; providing mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit; participating in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self; complying with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients.
- Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario (General Certificate) and member in good standing, required
- Diploma preparation as an RPN in a recognized education program for Nursing preferred
- Completion of a health assessment/physical assessment course from an accredited college or university in the past 2 to 3 years (or equivalent) required; qualified internal applicants, if currently enrolled in a health assessment/physical assessment course, the course must be successfully completed before January 1, 2021
- Recent health assessment course required
- Current medication certificate (if not included in diploma program) required
- Medical asepsis (if not included in diploma program) preferred
- Experience in Spinal Cord/Neuro Rehabilitation preferred
- Acute and Rehab experience an asset
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada) required
- Well-developed conceptual and theoretical understanding of nursing concepts as they relate to patient population and an ability to articulate these concepts
- Well-developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centeredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to impart knowledge to students within the context of a teaching hospital
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Able to use computer software such as Word, email and web applications
- Must be proficient in English
POSTED DATE: October 8, 2020 CLOSING DATE: until filled
If you are interested in this position, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other University Health Network's offers that may interest you