This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply
Youth Camp Counsellor
TNO - THE NEIGHBOURHOOD ORGANIZATION:
TNO - THE NEIGHBOURHOOD ORGANIZATION (formerly Thorncliffe Neighbourhood Office) is a community based multicultural, multi-service agency which offers a broad range of programs to serve Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park and the surrounding communities through strengthening the quality of individual and community life.
Youth Camp Counsellor role encompasses a variety of tasks. They will build relationships with the community for middle years (ages 7 to 12) and youth (ages 12 to16) summer camp purposes, will develop and co-facilitate a broad range of workshops and activities within the summer camp schedule including recreational, social, and educational focused services. The Summer Camp Assistant also supports youth, parents, service partners and community members in multiple capacities.
The Youth Camp Counsellor is responsible to cooperate with staff and other camp counselors to supervise a group of children. They create and implement a variety of camp activities and follow the arrival and departure procedures. They must also critically ensure the safe and healthy environment for all attendees.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Work cooperatively with staff and other camp counselors to supervise a group of 30 children
- Keep daily statistics on program attendance; follow the arrival and departure procedure
- Connect with program supervisor and other staff/volunteers to implement a variety of camp activities
- Supervise field trips to museums, science center, parks, overnight camps etc.
- Prepare equipment, including set up and clean up
- Facilitate assigned activities with the assistance of other camp volunteers
- Assume a leadership role with all camp volunteers.
- Prepare evaluations of all camp volunteers and report to supervisor
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment for all attendees.
- Show respect to others and encourage respect and cooperation in an inclusive environment.
- Act as encouraging role model/mentor to program participants
- Other duties assigned.
Summer Career program will be taken place for 8 weeks from July 2, 2019 to August 23, 2019
Successful candidates must be available to work on the dates indicated above.
Application deadline: May 27, 2019 by 5:00pm
Level of education
Work experience (years)
En : Advanced
En : Advanced
- Must be between the age of 15 and 30; registered as a full-time student in the preceding academic year; and intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- A successful police clearance/current First Aid and CPR/ TB test verification will be required for the position.
- Is legally entitled to work in Ontario;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; other language skills will be an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Able to work independently and be a good team player.
- Able to multi-task and set priorities.
- Experience or education (or combination) in social service, education or community development particularly recreational, tutoring or nutrition education experience
- Experience working with children, and/or camp counselling an asset.
- Superior oral and written communication skills in language(s) relevant to the neighbourhood are an asset
- Experience working with newcomer communities, and low-income, multi-racial, multi-lingual groups
- Experience working from an integrated anti-oppression, LGBTQ+ positive framework
Hours of Work:
This position would be required to work regular hours (35 hours per week, not including lunch break) between 8.30 AM to 8:00 PM. Shifts might include evening and weekends as decided by program requirements. Candidates must be available to work varying hours throughout the week.
This position will be located within any of TNO locations based on community and program requirements. The locations (multiple) for this position may be added or moved to new addresses in the future according to the community and program requirements.
This employer is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Other TNO - The Neighbourhood Organization's offers that may interest you