This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Job Number: J1020-0501
Job Title: Registered Practical Nurse, CEN 9W Medicine
Department: RVC 9W MEDICINE
Job Category: Nursing
Hospital Location: Birchmount
Job Type: Part Time
Number Of Positions: 1
Union: CUPE Local 5852
Hours: Days, Nights, Weekends, Holidays
MIN HRLY RATE: $29.76/Hour
MAX HRLY RATE: $31.43/Hour
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
Reporting to Manager of Inpatient Medicine, the successful candidate will be responsible for assessing, planning implementation and evaluating nursing care and practice activities in a multidisciplinary family centred care environment. The Registered Practical Nurse will be responsible for personal patient care, vital signs, physical assessment, administration of medications, monitoring IV′s, monitoring telemetry, setting up medical equipment as appropriate and other duties as assigned.
This Job Posting is posted under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act - Bill 195.
• Current certification with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse
• Diploma prepared Registered Practical Nurse or proof of upgraded equivalent skills
• Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level (current CPR/BCLS certificate)
• Health Assessment course from a recognized institution or equivalent course
• Current medical/surgical or coronary care nursing experience (1 year)
• Coronary Care 1 course from a recognized institution, or agreement to complete the course within 6 months of hire
• Successfully complete in-house arrhythmia quiz within 6 weeks of completion of the
• Demonstrated skills in providing patient education and sharing knowledge of expected outcomes and care
• Evidence of sound organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to work well in stressful situations
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and documentation skills with the ability to work well with patients, families, all levels of staff and the community
• Ability to work well independently and to exercise sound judgement
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the position
• Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community and public
• Demonstrates values consistent with SHN′s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
• Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
• Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
• Excellent work performance and attendance
• Physical Assessment course
• Courses related to neurology, nephrology, oncology and palliative care
• Assists with lifting, transferring, ambulation, etc. of patient
• Sitting, standing reaching, bending
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other The Scarborough Hospital's offers that may interest you