This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Full-time, K-12 Northern Classroom Teachers
Teach For Canada is recruiting teachers for full-time classroom positions in First Nations in northern Ontario and Manitoba. Successful candidates will start teaching in September 2021.
Why we exist:
Education in Canada is a success story, but high overall quality masks deep inequality. The twin challenges of teacher supply and turnover compound historical injustice and systemic inequities to produce an education gap between First Nations and non-First Nations communities.
Teach for Canada is a non-profit organization that works with northern communities to recruit, prepare, and support committed teachers who will improve student outcomes in the North.
- Certified to teach in a Canadian province or territory or certification-eligible (graduating from a Canadian teacher education program by July 2021)
- Legal working status in Canada for the minimum two-year teaching commitment
- Available to attend the Summer Enrichment Program for 2 weeks in July 2021 (In person or virtual delivery determined by Spring 2021)
- Able to relocate and teach full-time in a rural First Nations community in Fall 2021
Who we look for:
- You have a strong, flexible teaching practice and are inclusive of all students. You may work with students who are below grade level or have to teach outside of your subject specialization. Our Teacher Development team will support you by providing 2 years of classroom support.
- You are resilient and have established self-care strategies to overcome challenges. You can sometimes feel isolated and lonely, especially when trying to explain life in the community to family and friends. We will support you with a community of like-minded peers and an alumni network of mentors.
- You want to work collaboratively with community members to incorporate local knowledge. It can be difficult to integrate First Nation cultures and languages, especially if it is new to you. Our Summer Enrichment Program will support you through workshops on Indigenous histories, cultures, and locally-responsive teaching approaches.
As an organization that works with Indigenous communities, we value Indigenous perspectives in our program and encourage Indigenous candidates to apply.
2020/21 Selection Process:
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and you will hear back within 2 weeks of submission. The final deadline to apply is May 21st 2021
- Introductory Interviews: Conducted on a rolling basis until June 2021
- Fit Interviews: June 3rd – 5th
- Reference Checks: June 7th – 20th
- Final selection: June 21st
*Community matching will run from June 28th onward.
Suggested Next Steps:
- Email a Teacher Recruitment Manager at email@example.com with questions.
- Register for an online or in-person learning event at https://teachforcanada.ca/en/get-involved/events/
- Learn more and apply online now at https://teachforcanada.ca/en/teachers/apply-now/
This employer is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Teach For Canada's offers that may interest you