Under the direction of the Home Care Resource Coordinator, the Home Care Attendant (HCA) functions as a member of the Home Care team and is responsible for the provision of personal care and home support services to an individual or group of home care clients as assigned. As identified by an established plan of care, the HCA provides paraprofessional services to assist frail, physically disabled, and/or mentally challenged clients of all ages to remain in their own homes as long as safely possible.
The incumbent will exercise the appropriate level of initiative and independent judgment in determining work priorities, work methods to be employed and action to be taken on unusual matters. The position functions in a manner that is consistent with the mission, vision and values; and the policies of Southern Health-Santé Sud.Qualifications
- Grade 12 education required
- Home Care Attendant Certificate or Health Care Aide Certificate with community component from a recognized post-secondary institute
- Knowledge of Safe Food Handling
- Previous experience working with the elderly or disabled in a community setting is preferred
- Previous experience working in a home care program is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking skills
- Given the cultural diversity of our region, the ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population is required
- Proficiency of both official languages is essential for target and designated bilingual positions
- Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality including paper, electronic formats and other mediums
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the job
- Good work and attendance record
- Requires a valid Class 5 driver’s license, an all-purpose insured vehicle and liability insurance of at least $1,000,000.00.