This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Requisition ID: 107745
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
As a member of a world class Trade Surveillance team for Global Banking and Markets and Treasury (“GBM&T”) line of business, the Senior Manager will be focused on supporting an Insider Dealing surveillance program, responsible for managing a team of Compliance Officers who perform trade surveillance of Fixed Income, Equities, Derivatives (Listed and OTC) and related instruments for activity inconsistent with information barriers through trading activities conducted by GBM&T in various jurisdictions. Ensures surveillance plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with strategic direction of Trade Surveillance program and aligned with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- The insider dealing program includes planning, scheduling, surveillance and reporting of results to the applicable Business Lines and stakeholders for daily, weekly and quarterly activities.
- On an ongoing basis, monitors and reports on the state of the program through regular meetings with business, compliance and control personnel, the preparation and/or review of management. information reporting and internal audit/regulatory review results.
- Maintains deep knowledge & understanding of industry issues and practices, regulatory requirements and associated changes.
- Liaise and respond to Control Room inquiries as needed.
- Leads a team of trade surveillance professionals, with oversight for the surveillance of the applicable line of business trading activities as required by the program requirements.
- Ensures that the policies and surveillance procedures for the program reflect, at a minimum, all Canadian and US based legislative and regulatory requirements, including incorporation of rule changes and regulatory guidelines / expectations.
- Identifies non-compliance situations and trends and provides recommendations for remediation.
- Assists on specific projects (e.g. special investigations, regulatory initiatives etc.).
- Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decision
- Motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
Education / Experience / Other Information
- College Diploma or University Degree
- Current knowledge of securities regulations in Canada such as UMIR, National Instruments: 31-103, 23-101, 24-101, and IIROC Dealer Member Rules.
- At least 5 to 7+ years of related experience at a at a large financial institution or established securities or another financial services activity regulatory agency.
- Should be extremely familiar with trading functionality and have strong comprehension and use of automated surveillance systems, including familiarity with middle and back office processes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, coach, train and mentor staff.
- In-depth knowledge of the securities industry, regulatory and compliance requirements, along with the potential issues that may arise within the applicable line of business.
- Experienced in the initiation, development and implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Knowledgeable about industry practices regarding institutional and retail compliance matters.
- Experience working in or with Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, ECM, DCM and/or Research considered an asset.
- General understanding of Canadian regulatory and industry trends related the skills to translate requirements into efficient and effective, policies, procedures, controls, systems and training.
- An enquiring mind, excellent judgment, strategic thinking skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a proven ability to develop and implement solutions to complex issues.
- Ability to learn and adapt to rapidly changing regulatory and business environments.
- Able to work independently and with other staff across functional lines within the Bank.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: ''for every future'', we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Scotiabank's offers that may interest you