This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Requisition ID: 104202
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Scotiabank’s Legal Department is seeking to hire a lawyer at the Senior Legal Counsel level for its Toronto litigation team. This group handles all litigation matters for the Bank and its subsidiaries, supporting business lines, globally. As a key member of the team you will provide litigation advice and support to a broad range of stakeholders within the Bank, manage litigation matters, monitor and instruct external counsel, conduct internal investigations of complaints and claims, and prepare reports on litigation matters to senior executives. This position reports to the VP, Associate General Counsel, Litigation.
The ideal applicant will have 7 years of experience in commercial litigation gained from a major financial institution, corporation or law firm, as well as expert knowledge of a broad range of litigation areas, including banking and securities litigation, class actions, contract disputes, fraud, privacy litigation and insurance litigation. Experience in tax litigation is an asset but not a requirement. The successful candidate should possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as sound business judgment and problem solving skills.
- Provides legal analysis, documentation, negotiation, preparation, review, research and advice and counsel to line management on matters of above average complexity in the development of new programs.
- Researches legal issues of substantial complexity on a national or regional basis and researches proposed federal and provincial legislation to evaluate impact on the Bank; may initiate the research of more junior counsel; informs management on developing legal trends and their impact on operations and recommends courses of action.
- Represents the Bank at meetings or on committees with government, public and private organizations; researches and prepared submissions to government bodies on legislation and other issues affecting the organization.
- Directs the activity of outside counsel.
- Recommends and/or carries out the course of action to be taken regarding litigations or prosecutions.
- Superintends the work of counsel and staff within a group, including setting work standards, methods and procedures within the Department in accordance with company-wide policies and appraising work performance.
Education and Experience
Graduate of a recognized law school with excellent academic records
Membership in the Law Society of one of the provinces of Canada.
Under general direction of the Vice President and Associate General Counsel, the incumbent will research and analyze highly complex legal issues, with little or no precedent.
Possess excellent judgment, a strong business acumen, problem solving skills and the ability to work independently.
The position requires a high degree of analytical and communications skills.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: ''for every future'', we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Scotiabank's offers that may interest you