This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Requisition ID: 90710
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Purpose of Job:
The Senior Operations Representative will act as a subject matter expert in various functional areas including: estates, registered products, administration of RIF accounts, cash management, transfers, securities, clearance, settlement, deposits, verifications and new account administration such that he/she can respond to and resolve internal / external inquiries, at multiple levels of complexity.
The Senior Operations Representative will provide day-day support by processing customer documents and transactions, ensuring the efficient day-day administration and operational requirements of the centre are met. He / she will also be responsible for resolving, and responding to various complex customer / branch / interdepartmental inquiries, and will assist his / her lower level teammates in responding to, and resolving more complex issues and transactions.
1. To ensure a high level of customer service:
- Investigate, resolve and respond to inquiries / issues in an informed, timely manner (within established SLA)
- Provide industry leading customer service when answering customer email / telephone inquiries / letters
- Act as a liaison between various internal units such that customer requests (both internal and external) are handled within established SLA
- Perform corrections and adjustments to customer accounts within authorized limits or within management approval
- Understand and respond to customer issues / needs, including those of CSR’s and traders
- Efficiently resolve complaints / problems and / or trade errors; where necessary, escalate issue to appropriate level of management
- Draft correspondence on behalf of management to answer and respond to various customer complaints, such that firm harm / exposure is reduced
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of all aspects related to account administration including account transfer and new account processes, operational processes and procedures, banking processes and procedures
- Develop and maintain a robust knowledge of the firm such that complex issues can be answered and resolved in an informed, efficient manner
- Provide guidance, coaching and knowledge to lower level incumbents on an active basis
2. To ensure the efficient and effective handling of operational / administrative transactions:
- Ensure a high level of transactional competence
- Ensure customer and corporate records are accurately maintained and filed
- Ensure that any potential risk for business is acted upon in a prompt and informed manner; follow up with credit exposures and trade reconciliations as necessary
- Provide support to interdepartmental staff as required
- Exercise good judgment when correcting errors / making adjustments to requests received through AS400 or other sources
- Ensure customer information is accurate on daily reports, cross reference and resolve when necessary
- Monitor customer accounts to ensure that appropriate documentation changes have been made, and that customer requests have been satisfied
- Actively review policies and procedures posted on WealthNet and request revisions to procedures when necessary to ensure current, accurate information at all times
- Approve accounts inline with firm / industry rules and regulations
- Engage in analysis / decision making as required, i.e. lift restrictions from accounts within firm parameters and /or adjustments as necessary
3. To actively collaborate with internal staff and interdepartmental support departments to ensure that business needs are met:
- Participate actively in team learning , development and team performance activities including team meetings and coaching sessions
- Obtain, and forward outstanding documentation to customer and / or appropriate department(s) to ensure transactions are completed efficiently and accurately
- Investigate and follow up on inquiries as required, collaborate with compliance, legal, management, etc as required
- Process various customer and internal requests, transfers and / or conversions
- Acts as a liaison between the call centre and various other areas of the Online Brokerage / Wealth Management /ISS/Banks/other Financial Institutions
- Provide reports and statistical information to management as required
- Actively liaise and collaborate with management and interdepartmental staff when working on special projects / initiatives assigned by higher up
- Provide skill building / education sessions for interdepartmental staff as required
- Conduct presentations for new hire program in area of product expertise
4. To minimize potential risk and harm for the business:
- Ensure thorough knowledge and understanding in areas including anti-money laundering, anti-terrorist financing, privacy laws, compliance, legal requirements, Know Your Customer, firm / industry policies and procedures, etc
- Act quickly to alleviate errors and reduce firm exposure
- Adhere to the Guidelines for Business Conduct and Privacy Code, demonstrating a full understanding of the legal implications of dealing with customer requests while all times maintaining the confidentiality of customer information
- Adhere to the policies and practices that regulate the investment Industry by escalating all complaints and /or potential risk management ; take proactive measures to prevent / eliminate error reoccurrence
- Minimum requirements include: 3+ years industry experience, Canadian Securities Course (CSC), Conduct and Practice Handbook (CPH). Position will include licensing where required. Registration with the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC).
- Thorough understanding of industry policies and regulations including anti-money laundering , anti-terrorist financing, legal requirements, privacy laws, Know Your Customer Requirements, compliance, firm / industry rules and regulations, etc
- Knowledge of SCORE, AS400, ADP/HOD Broadridge, Webpost, ACWS and other banking screens
- Strong knowledge of the securities / brokerage industry, including margin policies, registered products, tax issues, industry and firm requirements and specialty products
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Able to work in a fast paced environment with volumes directed by market activity, customer demands and seasonal peaks
- Ability to work with others under a self managed team structure showing concern and understanding for the needs of customers and staff
- Strong processing and inputting skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Working knowledge of operational requirements, policies and procedures
- Ability to set and achieve goals, and work independently
- Ability to exercise discretion with sensitive information
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
- Strong communication (written and verbal)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated PC skills including Microsoft Word and analytics using Microsoft Excel including spreadsheets and database management
- Ability to learn new tasks quickly and accurately
- The incumbent will work independently within the boundaries of existing business policies and guidelines. He / she is expected to demonstrate a high level of transactional competency by processing high numbers of transactions daily, at multiple levels of complexity including: taking internal and external phone calls, working on projects that arise, processing customer transactions, reviewing documentation, etc.
- The incumbent will escalate complex issues / situations to management / compliance / legal as necessary. He / she will provide guidance and non-formal feedback to lower level team mates, and will act as a knowledge expert. The incumbent does not have the authority to override policy without to his / her manager for approval.
- The incumbent must demonstrate strong communication skills so that he / she can effectively provide detailed information to various departments; where the daily interactions with these areas is required to effectively deal with customer inquires and transactions.
- The incumbent must exercise judgment in the prioritization of his / her workload. The incumbent must adhere to processing deadlines (within established SLA), such that customer satisfaction / processing efficiency levels are met, and maintained.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank’s six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Scotiabank's offers that may interest you