This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Journeyperson Heavy Duty Mechanic
- Be part of a global mining organization with a strong focus on safety
- Work with an exceptional team of operations and maintenance people
- Progress your career with the Diavik team
About the role
We are currently accepting applications for Journeyperson Heavy Duty Mechanic to be responsible for repairing heavy mining equipment in a safe, environmentally friendly, and cost-effective manner to ensure equipment availability is maximized.
Reporting to the Maintenance or Pit Supervisor this position will be based at the Lac De Gras mine site and will be working on a two weeks on and two weeks off rotational schedule assigned to either our Truck Shop, Underground or Pit teams.
This role is a great opportunity to join the Diavik team. Duties will include the following:
- Performing repairs in a cost-effective, safe, and environmentally friendly manner to maximize equipment availability. Various Heavy Mining Equipment for incumbent to work on include but not limited to:
o Atlas Copco: MT6020 haul trucks, ST14, ST18, ST1530 scoop trams
o Hitachi: 1200, 1900, 2600, 3600 shovels, Drilltech: D75 drills, Atlas Copco: L8 drill
o CAT: excavators, D10/D6 dozers, Komatsu: 785/830E haul trucks;
· Filling out work order and reports on repairs and diagnoses prior to the end of each shift;
· Providing sufficient detail about repairs so that others can understand what work has been done on the equipment;
· Keeping work areas clean and free of safety hazards on a continuous basis;
· Conducting safety audits as per company policy;
· Providing written reports to the Maintenance or Pit Supervisor as requested;
· Adhering to safety and environmental rules and contribute to safety and productivity by constructively participating in safety meetings and incident investigations;
· Conducting equipment reviews to ensure new and existing equipment meet site safety standards and operational requirements;
· Assisting other trades persons to achieve Maintenance goals as required;
· Help develop Heavy Duty Mechanic apprentices including delegating tasks or projects that will assist with their skill development and meet apprenticeship.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Journeyperson certification as a Heavy Duty Mechanic;
- Interprovincial certification is preferred;
- Current St. John’s Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR is an asset;
- Training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is an asset;
- Minimum one (1) year of experience working as a Heavy Duty Mechanic on the same equipment as is used at Lac de Gras mine site is preferred;
- Understanding of the NWT Mines Act;
- Familiarity with new technologies and equipment (e.g., Cat SIS, Cummins Insight, etc.);
- Ability to maintain and repair heavy industrial equipment;
- Excellent oral, written and active-listening skills;
- Highly organized and ability to work in high stress situations and resolve issues;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently and as part of a team.
Northern residency and experience working in a cross-cultural environment, coupled with knowledge of the unique challenges and opportunities presented to those living in the North, are assets. Hiring priority will be given to qualified applicants who are beneficiaries of the DDMI Participation Agreement Groups and to qualified applicants residing in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut Territories. Members must clearly identify their status on the online job application and resume if they wish to receive priority consideration.
Where you will be working
Located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, the Diavik Diamond Mine is a producer of gem-quality diamonds. At Diavik, a strong focus is placed on protecting the local environment, as well as supporting communities through employment and education.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career
So if this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now.
If you are looking for change, a new career and would like to work for a successful global organization, join us today.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Closing Date: October 22, 2019
This employer is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Internal reference No. req32966
Other Rio Tinto's offers that may interest you