* Grade 12 education (MB Standards)
* Eligible for and maintains licensure to practice as a Security Officer (Guard) in the province of Manitoba
* Proficiency with hand held radios or radio communications devices
* Province of Manitoba Class 5 Drivers Licence and access to a personal vehicle to provide service within Prairie Mountain Health
* Proficiency with Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), as well as Internet applications and other Information Technology
* Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to work independently
* Demonstrated communication skills
* Demonstrated flexibility to facilitate changes in techniques and procedures
* Ability to display independent judgment
* Ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population
* Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
* Ability to perform the duties of the position on a regular basis
The Protection Officer provides a safe, comfortable and supportive environment for all clients, staff and visitors by encouraging reliability, effectiveness and efficiency in the operation of the Security Services department.
- Responsible for the protection of life and property.
- Maintenance of law and order.
- Prevention and detection of crime.
- Cooperates with all other staff to produce a harmonious working relationship throughout Prairie Mountain Health.
- Prepares estimates of time and materials for specific projects as required.
- Notifies the Manager DEPP / Security Services, when additional help is required.
- Performs all safety and security related functions for all Prairie Mountain Health properties as assigned.
- Ensures that consideration is given to patients and staff by notifying them when services are to be interrupted, when work is to be done and when work has been completed.
- Performs the day-to-day functions of the Security Services Department.
- Assists in developing departmental policies, and procedures as required.
- Participates in the interpretation and administration of administrative and departmental policies, Workplace Safety and Health Act regulations, and Manitoba Fire Codes, etc.
- Responds to all emergency situations as assigned, and/or follows the direction of the incident commander to assist in response or event management.
- Trains staff on all related programs as directed.
- Conducts necessary testing to comply with existing Workplace Safety and Health Act Regulations and Fire Codes.
- Informs Manager DEPP / Security Services of all matters pertaining to the forgoing duties and responsibilities and notify when additional help is required.
- Completes necessary notification to manager or supervisor when identifies defective or broken, unsafe equipment or infrastructure while performing the duties of the protection officer. This may include damage to parking lot resources, signage, grounds, CCTV equipment failure, door failure or unsafe surfaces.
- Ensures that all parking lots are controlled and equipment is in good working order.
- As required, ensures parking meters, pay stations and related parking infrastructure under PMH responsibility, are controlled and in good working order.
- Monitors and works with closed circuit TV systems.
- Works with fire safety protection equipment, training and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.