* Grade 10 (Manitoba Standards)
* Current Food Handler Training Certificate Level 1 or willing to obtain within six (6) months
* Other combinations of education and experience will be considered
* Demonstrated dexterity, speed, and efficient work methods
* Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to work independently
* Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
* Demonstrated flexibility to facilitate changes in techniques and procedures
* Ability to display independent judgment
* Ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population
* Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
* Ability to perform the duties of the position on a regular basis
Under the direction of the Manager, Nutrition Services or Nutrition Services Supervisor and coordination of the Cook, Lead Hand or Clerk, the Dietary Aide is responsible for performing the following activities according to related policies and procedures and any government regulations and legislation: assists in all aspects of food service assembly, production and distribution to related areas with emphasis on portion control, waste control, proper sanitation and safety; ensures all food preparation adheres to menu and therapeutic specifications; maintains preparation areas, storage areas, and meal service areas in clean and sanitary condition; monitors and ensures food is served at optimal temperatures and leftovers are properly used; operates cash register and completes related cash procedures.
- Assists in the training and/or orientation of Nutrition Services staff and students.
- Ensures familiarity with all diets, the use of reference materials, and technical terms used in Nutrition Services.
- Adheres to the approved menu and therapeutic guidelines regarding the preparation and serving of therapeutic and/or texture-modified diets.
- Makes necessary changes to the client menus as directed in consultation with the Nutrition Services Supervisor, Manager or Registered Dietitian.
- Assists with food preparation as directed. This includes but is not limited to toast, cereal, nourishments, salads, cold food prep, sandwiches, desserts, beverages.
- Assembles/serves meals to clients in accordance with portion standards and serving guidelines (tray, dining room, or cafeteria service).
- Delivers food carts/trays to designated areas and collects soiled trays/dishes.
- Sets, clears, cleans and sanitizes dining room tables.
- Prepares and delivers items for catered functions.
- Performs cashier function.
- Washes dishes, pots, pans, and utensils in accordance with sanitation standards.
- Maintains sanitary conditions by thoroughly cleaning related Nutrition Services areas and equipment as per cleaning schedules.
- Follows established safe work procedures for all relevant equipment and tasks.
- Ensures all relevant equipment is clean and operating efficiently.
- Ensures appropriate labeling, dating and storing or discarding of left overs, including hazardous food sample maintenance.
- Checks, orders, receives, monitors and unpack supplies as directed by the Nutrition Services Supervisor, Manager or designate.
- Maintains par stock levels in designated areas.
- Assists with inventory procedures.
- Assists/participates in departmental quality control audits and procedures.
- Sundry duties as assigned.