* Grade 12 (MB Standards)
* Current Food Handler Training Certificate Level 1 or willing to obtain within six (6) months
* Previous health care food service experience or cooking experience required
* Other combinations of education and experience will be considered
* Demonstrated dexterity, speed and efficient work methods
* Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to work independently
* Demonstrated communication skills
* Demonstrated flexibility to facilitate changes in techniques and procedures
* Ability to display independent judgment
* Ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population
* Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
* Ability to perform the duties of the position on a regular basis
Under the direction of the Nutrition Services Supervisor and/or Manager, the Cook I is responsible for performing the following activities according to related policies and procedures and any government regulations and legislation: all aspects of food service production and distribution to related areas with emphasis on portion control, waste control, proper sanitation and safety. The Cook I prepares all food according to menu and therapeutic specifications; monitors and ensures food is served at optimal temperatures and leftovers are properly used according to established regulations and policies. In the absence of the Nutrition Services Supervisor or Manager, oversees day-to-day activities of the Nutrition Services department, including the supervision of applicable staff and required quality assurance processes.
- In the absence of the Nutrition Services Supervisor or Manager, assumes a leadership role in coordinating the Nutrition Services for the facility, including the daily supervision of the Nutrition Services staff at the facility level and required quality assurance processes.
- Ensures familiarity with all diets, the use of reference materials, and technical terms used in Nutrition Services.
- Prepares all food in accordance with production schedules, standard recipes, quality standards (taste, texture, presentation and appearance) and portion control guidelines.
- Prepares all food items as required for special and catered functions and other departmental programs (e.g. Meals on Wheels, Adult Day Program).
- Completes preparations for all therapeutic or texture-modified foods required.
- Adheres to the approved menu and therapeutic guidelines regarding the preparation and serving of therapeutic and/or texture-modified diets.
- Makes necessary changes to the client menus as directed in consultation with the Nutrition Services Supervisor, Manager or Registered Dietitian.
- Monitors and records temperature of foods through storage, preparation and service to ensure established temperature goals are achieved or exceeded.
- Maintains safe and healthy food preparation environment through compliance with “Food Safety Code of Practice” standards.
- Ensures appropriate labeling, dating and storing or discarding of left overs, including hazardous food sample maintenance.
- Assists with purchasing, receiving, checking and storage of food and supplies as required. Responsible for reporting damaged or missing goods.
- Assists with planning, organizing and evaluating menu items.
- Follows established safe work procedures for all relevant equipment and tasks.
- Ensures all relevant equipment is clean and operating efficiently.
- Assists with inventory procedures.
- Assists/participates in departmental quality control audits and procedures.
- Participates in orientation, training and mentoring of new employees and students.
- Reports Maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, security issues and unsafe work conditions to the Supervisor or Manager. Completes all necessary documentation.
- Complies with all regional and departmental policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.