This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Click here to apply as an internal applicant.
Req ID: 114407
Location: Western Zone, South Shore Regional Hospital
Department: OPWZ Nursing Inpatient Admin SSRH
Type of Employment: Casual Relief (3% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: NSNU
Posting Closing Date: 5-Aug-21
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Patient Flow Manager or designate, the Shift Supervisor provides leadership at the point of care and is responsible for all facets of health care as defined within the unit and the scope of practice of the RN nursing practice. The Shift Supervisor is responsible for the coordination and utilization of inpatient and outpatient services and works with the Health Services Managers/Team Leaders to plan, coordinate and direct nursing units to ensure the safe, efficient use of patient services within the facility and the attainment of optimal health status for patients and families. In addition, at times may be required to provide direct patient care. In the absence of the Health Services Manager, the Shift Supervisor oversees the overall patient care services after regular business hours, and is the initial communications coordinator in a crisis situation, initiating the allocation of appropriate human resources and supplies.
Functioning within the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics, the Shift Supervisor exercises leadership and critical thinking, while working within the Vision, Mission, Values and Strategic Directions and incorporates into daily practice the Core Competencies and Values of the organization.
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing
- Registered or eligible for registration with the Nova Scotia College of Nurses (NSCN)
- Current BLS-C (HCP) certification
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in direct patient care. Supervisory experience would be an asset.
- Labour management experience and/or knowledge of collective agreements.
- Certification in the following: Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS); Advanced Nursing Procedures and Delegated Medical Acts; ACLS
- Knowledge and experience with the Canadian Trauma & Acuity Scale (CTAS)
- Demonstrated abilities in leadership, critical thinking, verbal and written communication, and interpersonal effectiveness
- Excellent time management, organizational and negotiating skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team in a constantly changing work environment
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health
- Computer knowledge and experience, including Meditech, Microsoft Suite, E-mail, Internet
- Physical and mental capabilities to perform the duties of the position such as lifting and mobilizing patients; varying workloads and shift work, including days, nights, evenings and weekends; exposure to drugs and radiation, soiled and contaminated equipment, supplies and instruments and medical conditions of patients/residents; exposure in specified units to pets such as pet therapy dogs; dealing with stressful situations relating to agitated, confused, aggressive or hostile behaviour of patients/residents
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Please Note: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
- Casual Relief
- Commencing as soon as possible
- Availability for all shifts
$37.0942 - $43.3874 hourly
$44.9061 hourly with 25 years' nursing experience
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Nova Scotia Health Authority's offers that may interest you