This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Click here to apply as an internal applicant.
Req ID: 98376
Location: Northern Zone, Cumberland Regional Health Care Centre
Department: PS NZ Health,Safety & Wellness
Type of Employment: Regular Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date: 25-Oct-20
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community-based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
The Safety Consultant guides the development of programs, tools and training that support the critical elements of the Occupational Health and Safety Management System - to ensure regulatory compliance with the Nova Scotia Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations, standards and best practices. They are also responsible for providing expert safety services to all facilities/departments of Nova Scotia Health Authority. The Safety Consultant acts as a liaison with the Department of Labour and Advanced Education. The Safety Consultant provides direction to all levels of management to effectively and efficiently implement the OHSMS to ensure compliance with the act and applicable regulations. The Safety Consultant works collaboratively with the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees and the Workplace Safety Teams to ensure they are established and functioning as required in the OHS Act. Acts as a resource to assist in investigating and identifying corrective actions regarding health and safety issues. Utilizes outstanding communication skills the Safety Consultant supports a culture of safety by providing direction to all levels of the organization with respect to integrating safety into their operations. The Safety Consultant is responsible for providing timely, accurate and expert interpretation of the OH&S legislation as well as industry standards and best practices.
- Grade XII plus successful completion of a certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- Minimum of three years related experience required
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) certification or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or in the process of attaining safety certification
- Previous experience in the development and implementation of an Occupational Health and Safety Management System in a large complex organization a definite asset
- Expert knowledge and demonstrated competence in all disciplines of OH&S legislation and applicable Acts, Codes, Regulations and industry best practices
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to develop, implement and train staff on OH&S related programs
- Demonstrated presentation and adult education skills
- Demonstrated computer skills - familiar with database, presentation, word processing, and statistical analysis software
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with all staff of a complex organization
- Must be a self-motivated person, able to work without supervision in a multi-site facility
- Ability to travel regularly within Northern Zone and occasionally to other locations
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing
Hours of Work
- Permanent, full-time position; 75 hours biweekly
- Beginning January 4, 2021
Safety Consultant (BANDR08):
$31.9518 - $39.9397 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date. Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs, as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid Registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy. Only online applications are accepted.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Nova Scotia Health Authority's offers that may interest you