This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Click here to apply as an internal applicant.
Req ID: 101732
Location: Western Zone, Queens General Hospital
Department: OPWZ Medical Unit QGH
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: Nursing NSNU
Posting Closing Date: 30-Apr-21
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Manager, the Registered Nurse (RN) functions as an integral member of the multi-disciplinary team within the Collaborative Practice Model, and in addition to providing direct patient care, they would assume the responsibility for assessing, planning, implementing, directing, supervising and evaluating direct and indirect patient care and evaluation of patient outcomes. As the coordinator of care within the bedside delivery team, the RN develops the plan of care based on the assessment, with consideration to strengths, risk factors, options, consequences of actions, health promotion, learning, comfort, safety, privacy, dignity and integrity, and ensures the patient care experience is coordinated and integrated within an interdisciplinary care model, both within acute care and across the continuum of care.
The RN assigns care responsibilities and provides guidance to Licensed Practical Nurses according to their scope of practice, and assigns responsibilities to unregulated healthcare team members according to their scope of employment. Through the application of clinical knowledge, critical thinking and clinical judgment, the RN provides safe, competent, compassionate, ethical care and maintains professional autonomy as supported by the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia Standards of Practice. The successful candidate may be responsible to relieve in the Shift Supervisor position as required.
The RN exhibits sound professional judgment and initiative while working within the Mission, Vision, Strategic Directions, Access & Flow procedures and Clinical Discharge Management practices and incorporates into daily practice the Core Competencies and Values of the organization.
- Graduate of an approved School of Nursing
- Licensed or eligible for licensure with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN)
- Minimum one (1) year recent medical nursing experience and experience providing care to unstable and critically ill patients, i.e., monitors, etc.
- Current CPR certification required
- Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, organizational, prioritizing, critical thinking, strategic thinking and sound decision-making skills in the provision of accountable, safe, ethical, patient care within a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team and in the delegation of responsibilities to appropriate healthcare team members.
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health.
- Excellent communication skills (listening, oral and written) with the ability to effectively and sensitively communicate with all levels of staff, multi-disciplinary team members, patients and families.
- Basic computer skills - Microsoft Suite - E-mail, Internet, Meditech.
- Physical and mental capabilities to perform the duties of the position such as lifting and mobilizing patients; varying workloads and shift work; exposure to drugs and radiation, soiled and contaminated equipment, supplies and instruments and medical conditions of patients; exposure in specified units to pets such as pet therapy dogs; dealing with stressful situations relating to agitated, confused, aggressive or hostile behaviour of patients.
- Regular attendance in current and previous employment.
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred.
Please Note: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if the applications are incomplete or missing information. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Hours of Work
- Permanent, Full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
$35.2108 - $41.4848 hourly
$42.9366 hourly with 25 years' nursing experience
Based on qualifying criteria, successful candidates may be eligible for up to a $5,000 signing bonus for two years return of service. Successful candidates may also be eligible for up to $5,000 if relocating from outside of Nova Scotia.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Nursing bargaining unit - NSNU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Nova Scotia Health Authority's offers that may interest you