This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Click here to apply as an internal applicant.
Req ID: 101062
Location: Eastern Zone, Prime Brook
Department: MHA EZ Child & Adolescent Services
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: Healthcare UNIFOR
Posting Closing Date: 30-Apr-21
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services requires a Psychologist to function as part of a multidisciplinary team providing services to children and adolescents for preschool, school age and adolescents with either general mental health disorders, or neurodevelopmental disorders that also have a mental health component. The psychologist will be providing assessment, intervention and consultation for a variety of conditions (behavioral and mental health) that co-occur with ASD and other neurodevelopmental disorders. The psychologist will also provide collaborative treatment planning and supervision of behavioral interventionists on the team and periodically be required to administer psychological testing/assessments. The psychologist has a caseload and also provides consultative services to the team.
- PhD in Psychology from an educational institution acceptable to the Nova Scotia Board of Examiners in Psychology
- Registered or eligible to register with the appropriate regulatory body within the Province of Nova Scotia
- Advanced training and experience in child and adolescent mental health
- Three years clinical training and experience in providing psychological services to children and adolescents with mental health, behavioral and neurodevelopmental disorders
- Advanced Knowledge of the DSM 5 and ability to use to assess and diagnose childhood mental health disorders (ADHD, anxiety, depression, behavior disorder, neurodevelopmental disorders) concurrent disorders and the ability to identify and refer on more severe disorders (e.g. psychosis, bipolar)
- Diagnostic training and experience, completing mental health assessments and implementing evidence based treatment plans for children and adolescents
- Experience completing psychoeducational and other psychological assessments
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively and cooperatively as part of a multi-disciplinary team within a flexible work schedule and environme
- Demonstrated expertise to practice behavior management, cognitive behavior therapy, group therapy for children and adolescents, and brief therapy models
- Exemplary ability to coordinate the development of effective linkages with other agencies such as, justice, education, social service and community agencies as needed
- Demonstrated experience in crisis and suicide risk assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in working collaboratively and cooperatively as part of a multi-disciplinary team within a flexible work schedule and environment
- Demonstrated experience in crisis and suicide risk assessment and intervention
- Experience providing supervision
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- The ability to work with a high degree of autonomy in a manner consistent with the policies and standards of Mental Health Services and NSHA
- Group facilitation is required
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a Criminal Record Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) and Child Abuse Registry to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent Full-time (100%) Position; 75.00 Hours Bi-weekly
Travel may be required, access to reliable vehicle.
Evening shifts may be required.
PhD Psychologist IV (HTH067):
$52.95 - $58.83 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - UNIFOR position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Nova Scotia Health Authority's offers that may interest you