This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Click here to apply as an internal applicant.
Req ID: 106731
Location: Western Zone, Fishermen's Memorial Hospital
Department: NFS Patient Food FMH
Type of Employment: Casual Relief (3% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: CUPE
Posting Closing Date: 28-Sep-21
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Responsible to and under the direction of the Food Service Supervisor, the Food Production Worker is responsible for performing routine assigned duties in meal preparation, heating/reheating of food, meal service, cafeteria and catering service and cleaning related to providing quality, safe and nutritious food as per the food service model to the patients, clients and customers of the facility/community.
The Food Production Worker may work in a rural setting where the Food Service Supervisor is accessible (via phone or email) but not physically available. The Food Production Worker will exhibit sound professional judgment and independent thought while working within the framework of the organization
The Food Service Worker ensures that the principles and practices that guide the NSHA such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviors, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and inter-professional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
• Grade 12 or equivalent required
• Food Handler’s Certification within the last five (5) years
• Minimum one year recent (with the last 3 years) experience providing customer service in a food service setting is required
• Experience with cash handling and catering is an asset
• Cooking experience an asset
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated planning, organizational, prioritization and time management skills
• Demonstrated initiative, self-motivation and ability to work independently
• Demonstrated resourcefulness and ability to use good judgment in making decisions
• Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels of staff and patients
• Ability to work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team
• Accountability and responsibility for own actions
• Ability to hold in confidence all matters pertaining to patients, employees and the business of the organization
• Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practical and organizational health
• Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
• Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants will be screened on the above qualifications. Applicants must clearly demonstrate how they meet the knowledge and competencies in their cover letter and resume. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Applicants will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or missing information.
Hours of Work
* Casual Relief Position
$20.2517 - $22.5017 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Support bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Nova Scotia Health Authority's offers that may interest you