This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Clinical Externs (Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy Students) – Part Time Temporary (Until March 2024) – Markham SiteMarkham, ON
Number of positions available : 1
- Salary To be discussed
- Published on September 29th, 2023
Starting date : 1 position to fill as soon as possible
Oak Valley Health honours the traditional territory of the closest Indigenous communities, the Chippewas (chi-puh-waas) of Georgina Island and the Mississaugas of Scugog Island. The Haudenosaunee (Ho-de-no-shau-nee) and Anishinaabe (Ah-nish-in-ah-beh) have lived, worked and existed on this land from time immemorial. This land is covered by Treaty 13 signed with the Mississaugas of the Credit, and the Williams Treaty signed with many Mississauga and Chippewa bands.
Who you are:
- You encompass Oak Valley Health’s core values and live the words of respect, trust, commitment, compassion and courage
- You are a patient and/or client centered individual who performs at an exemplary standard
- You are a team player with excellent communication, critical thinking and prioritization skills
What we are looking for:
The Clinical Extern Program is an extraordinary opportunity available to physiotherapy (PT) students and occupational therapy (OT) students enrolled in an accredited program entering into their last years of their program. Working in one of the clinical areas as an Unregulated Health Care Provider, the program will support the development of clinical skills, critical thinking, and clinical understanding. The Clinical Extern will gain hands-on experience in performing fundamental patient care duties while working in our clinical programs.
Assigned within the team to an identified mentor and reporting to the Manager, the Clinical Extern will work within our model of care to gain an understanding and appreciation for the professional role, as well as assist with the functioning of the team at the patient care level. Working in an Interprofessional team environment, the Clinical Extern will adhere to strict privacy and confidentiality and contribute as an enthusiastic and person-focused reliable student fostering a positive patient and family experience.
What you bring to the role:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited Physiotherapy, or Occupational Therapy program and entering into 4th year of the program;
- An official school transcript will be required if you are invited to be interviewed for this position;
- Well-developed communication, critical thinking and organizational skills with proven ability to prioritize and take initiative;
- Proven ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
- Ability to work all shifts as necessary;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Must have a satisfactory performance record;
- Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Respect, Compassion, Trust, Courage, Commitment;
- Ability to embrace ongoing change and innovations
- Demonstrated commitment to a person centred care environment
- Demonstrated good attendance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with organization related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required
Days and weekends. Included are statutory holidays, school holidays.
8 hour shifts (subject to change)
$19.81 per hour
Who we are:
Oak Valley Health is one of Ontario’s leading community healthcare organizations. Across our two sites (Markham and Uxbridge) and Reactivation Care Centre (RCC), we provide high quality, patient-centred care to more than 468,000 patients each year. We offer diagnostic and emergency services and deliver clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health, and childbirth and children’s services. We are also proud to be part of the Eastern York Region North Durham Ontario Health Team (OHT).
Our 542 physicians, 35 midwives, over 3,000 staff and 1,000 volunteers serve patients and families with an honoured to care mindset and are focused on delivering an extraordinary patient experience to the residents of Markham, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Uxbridge and beyond. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to strengthen and promote health protection to patients, staff and members of the public attending in the hospital, prior to the first day of employment with the Hospital, all successful candidates are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination (full vaccination is required). In order to provide you with fair & equitable accommodation, you must submit supporting medical exemption documentation or an affidavit detailing why your religion prohibits you from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.
Oak Valley Health diversity statement
Oak Valley Health takes pride in serving some of Canada’s most diverse communities. We are committed to fostering an environment of equity and inclusivity where every person can work and receive care safely, openly and honestly. All qualified applicants will receive consideration and we encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, members of sexual minority groups, members of racialized groups, persons with disabilities, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of Oak Valley Health. Furthermore, Oak Valley Health is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.
We are honoured to be recognized as one of Forbes Canada's Best Employers for Diversity 2022. We ranked within the top 150 organizations across the country. Learn more about our commitment to EDI.
Other Markham Stouffville Hospital's offers that may interest you