This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Patient Access Representative - Bed Allocation Patient Registration
Temporary Part Time position (approximately 12 months)
There’s never been a better time to join Mackenzie Health! As we prepare to open our state-of-the-art Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, and continue to operate Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital, we have many opportunities available for Patient Access Representative who share our commitment to quality, patient-centred care. Ultimately, this is where you want to be.
The Patient Access Representative (Bed Allocation/Patient Registration) is a valuable member of the Patient Access team and has a significant impact on the effective operation of the bed management function at Mackenzie Health. In close collaboration with the patient flow team, this position is responsible for the appropriate and efficient placement, transfer, and discharge of both emergency patients and inpatients in a confidential manner. The position is responsible for maintaining the corporate electronic bed board for the organization, providing a central resource for internal and external customers. This position has an integral function in monitoring the timely follow up and completion of daily bed census and preferred accommodations.
Contribute to safe, quality care by
• Responsible for patient placement based on clinical need and preferred accommodation requests.
• Responsible for patient admissions, discharges, transfers and tracking all patient movement.
• Accountable for monitoring and reporting bed census on a continuous basis.
• Interviews patients and enters precise registration information into electronic medical record (EMR).
• Educates patients on fees associated with visits, when applicable. Obtains signatures and credit card information on electronic billing consent.
• Reviews accommodation census report to ensure that patient has been allocated to the appropriate bed and actions accordingly.
• Coordinates direct admissions with patients and sending/ receiving physicians.
• Communicates bed shortages/ planning concerns with Manager/ PCC, Patient Flow and Shift Managers.
• Attends bed meeting during day shift.
• Training and orientation of new staff.
• Other duties as assigned.
What must you have?
• Medical terminology certificate required or completion within 3 months of hire.
• Graduate of a Medical Office Administration Program or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and/or relevant experience, required.
• A minimum of one year of Bed Allocation/ Bed Management experience or a minimum of two years of registration/ admitting experience in a hospital setting, required.
What else do you bring?
• Well-developed keyboarding/ computer skills with a minimum keyboarding speed of 50-60 wpm and experience using Hospital ADT System (s) and Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Ability for self-direction and to work independently exercising sound judgment with minimal supervision.
• Effective time management and organizational skills with an ability to work well under pressure, prioritize and manage multiple demands in a fast pace environment.
• Demonstrated initiative, stewardship, and teamwork skills.
• Demonstrated excellence in problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Excellent customer focus with demonstrated ability to work well with fellow staff, internal and external customers.
• Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written English communication.
• Ability to speak a second language, an asset.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Maintains own competency.
• Seeks help and accepts guidance when a gap in competency is identified.
• Continually seeks ongoing education.
• Promotes and assists with activities for quality improvement.
*This position is being represented by OPSEU CLERICAL
*You may be required to work at any site of Mackenzie Health
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Mackenzie Health's offers that may interest you