This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
System Administrators are the gatekeepers to the many systems that run our company and our clients. As a System Admin with IBM, you will have the opportunity to provide high-value IT services and leverage our leading-edge technology portfolio in our global network. Your work has a direct impact on the day-to-day productivity of our business by ensuring integrity of, and access to, our most important resource: data.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Evaluate, provision, configure, implement, maintain, analyze, diagnose, and provide day-to-day support for clients overall Storage (DASD and Tape) solution(s) including backup, restore, archive, and business continuity plans.
• Monitor, support, maintain, and enhance associated storage, backups, and data replication for a large number of Sysplexes.
• Provide support for Disaster Recovery Exercises.
• Analyze Production Mainframe DASD Space Availability.
• Analyze mainframe DASD space availability by Systems Managed Storage Complex (SMSPLEX) and by System Complex (SYSPLEX).
• Analyze DASD storage connected across all Logical Partitions (LPARs).
• Analyze and determine cause of mainframe DASD space concerns.
• Communicate resolution to requesting area via phone and/or email.
• Evaluate new technologies.
• Install, configure, implement new solutions / architectures.
• Provide mainframe DASD space capacity where required.
• Analyze and recommend required SMS modifications with SSA peers.
• Analyze required mainframe ACS code modification.
• Monitor DASD and tape storage resources for performance and available space.
• Process required Mainframe SMS construct modifications online using TSO logon and Interactive System Management Facility (ISMF).
• Test all changes using the SMS test facility prior to installation. Testing is online using Mainframe TSO logon and ISMF.
• Document each action taken.
• Deploy mainframe DASD and tape.
• Perform catalog optimization and maintenance.
• Maintain management class constructs defining retention requirements for data sets.
• Maintain Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) parameter library members assigned to control execution.
• Maintain free space for the three control data sets of HSM.
• Analyze, maintain and perform the steps to reorganize control data sets.
• Analyze, maintain Migration on Level 2 tapes to ensure maximum tape density.
• Support DF/SMShsm Aggregate Backup and Recovery System (ABARS) on associated systems.
• Support for upgrading Systems Managed Storage (SMS), Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM) and of Device Facility Product (DFP).
• Support IBM Mainframe storage management disciplines utilizing DF/SMS ACS routines.
• Review Mainframe DASD/tape space availability by SMSPLEX and by SYSPLEX.
• Review mainframe DASD/tape storage thresholds to determine adequate space availability.
• Analyze and determine cause of DASD/tape space concerns.
• Communicate resolution to appropriate area.
• Analysis of Mainframe DASD and tape storage usage availability.
• Determine application and people to contact for DASD/tape space concerns.
• Provide resolution for space shortages.
• Respond to requests as necessary to support client needs.
• Provide DASD/tape storage space available to correct DASD/tape space shortage.
• Enhance software to reduce operation time, add functionality, or improve efficiency.
• Work independently or under only general direction.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 3 to 4 years experience with HSM, CA1, CA7, FDR PAS, TDMF, CA Vantage, Hitachi Universal Replicator / BCM, SMS, ACS, DFDSS/HSM for backups.
- FDR ABRS, IBM Global Mirror / Metro Mirror / CSM, Virtual Tape (IBM TS77xx), CR+ and catalog maintenance / optimization, Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity exercises and methods.
- Bilingual in French and English.
- Canadian Federal Government Security Clearance Level 2 - Secret.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
Advanced Storage technologies / concepts (i.e. Hybrid Cloud solutions).
About Business Unit
At Global Technology Services (GTS), we help our clients envision the future by offering end-to-end IT and technology support services, supported by an unmatched global delivery network. It's a unique blend of bold new ideas and client-first thinking. If you can restlessly reinvent yourself and solve problems in new ways, work on both technology and business projects, and ask, ''What else is possible?'' GTS is the place for you!
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities - where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust - where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other IBM Canada's offers that may interest you