Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
As a Clinical Nursing Specialist, you will be an integral part of a collaborative, inter-disciplinary team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers. If you are looking for a company that is constantly moving forward in pursuit of successful outcomes, get ready to love it here!
This is an 10 month maternity leave contract.
Internal applications for positions within the bargaining unit must be received within 7 days of this position being posted to have seniority considered.
What you'll be doing
• Complete assessments for patients located within Guelph General Hospital (GGH) in-patient units, with new, ongoing, concurrent medical and contributing mental health and addiction concerns
• Assess, identify priorities, evaluate and create plans for highly complex concurrent treatment situations with patients, families, clinicians, psychiatrists and other clinical care partners
• Use advanced knowledge, theory and skills in nursing and related fields to plan, intervene and evaluate psychosocial and treatment needs of patients and families
• Work collaboratively to develop innovative solutions to address psychiatric issues with patients who are receiving care within GGH inpatient units for primary medical concerns
• Negotiate safe and patient centered transfers between GGH Medical units and Homewood Health Centre (HHC),with a view to building capacity in the system when applicable
• Collaborate with GGH hospitalists, NPs and other clinical experts to ensure the delivery of quality care
• Triage and coordinate updates on progress, interventions, evaluation of interventions, trends and patient summaries
• Assist with clinical care and patient flow to meet Health Quality Ontario and Accreditation Canada Standards and clinical best practices
• Participate in the ongoing development of the Mental Health and Addiction Emergency Follow Up Service (MHAEFUS) and other projects as required
• Complete consultations for improved care planning for patients on Short Stay Assessment Unit (SSAU)
• Participate in the creation and presentation of Grand Rounds and Lunch and Learns both at Guelph General and Homewood Health Centre
• Champion, develop and implement enhanced education for Emergency Mental Health and Addiction Service (EMHAS) clinical team, including psychiatry residents
What we're looking for
• Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
• Master’s degree in Nursing or Health Sciences
• Currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• CNA certification in psychiatric mental health nursing required - CPMHN(c)
• CNA certification in gerontology (preferred), or willing to obtain
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience with emergency mental health and addiction care, including geriatric psychiatry
• Minimum 1 year of consultation-liaison experience
• Education and experience in the following psychotherapeutic skills: DBT, CBT, Motivational Interviewing, crisis intervention and aggressive behavior management
• Experience with the process of scanning, reviewing, analyzing, interpreting and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative literature
• Demonstrated ability to mentor and teach
• Knowledgeable of, experience with incorporating, trauma-informed philosophies into practice
• Experience with writing policies and procedures
• Commitment to engage as a collaborative partner with the Guelph General Hospital and external outpatient care partners
• Experience with leading, supervising and delegating
• Excellent interpersonal skills and supportive customer service when interacting with clinical staff
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Health Centre requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.