This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Posting # 2021-872314
Position: Registered Practical Nurse
Department: Halton Healthcare’s MEST (Mobile Enhancement Support Team) with intermittent assignment to Halton Healthcare’s Nursing Resource Team.
Status: Temporary Part time approx. 4 months (Potential for contract extension) (must provide availability up to 0.5 FTE)
Hours: Various rotating 8 & 12 hour shifts, 0730-1930 or 1930-0730 (Hours are subject to change based on operational needs)
Site: LTC facilities in Halton and neighboring regions and George Town, Oakville and Milton in-patient hospital units.
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative center of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions. We are a distinctive center of healthcare excellence that offers first-rate care in an innovative environment that supports the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs of the community.
This is what you will be doing:
The COVID-19 pandemic has deeply impacted Long Term Care facilities around the world. In response to this global crisis and to the needs of the vulnerable residents with-in LTC facilities in our surrounding communities, Halton Healthcare has developed a Rapid Support Team of clinicians, Allied Healthcare professionals and pandemic support leaders that have united to form the MEST (Mobile Enhancement Support Team.) This team of dedicated individuals is deployed to different long term care facilities who are experiencing different crisis situations related to COVID-19. This mobile support team reviews the individual needs of each LTC facility that has been identified as “in crisis” and together develops a customized support plan addressing the main challenges the facility is facing. Nurses who join MEST will have the opportunity to provide a variety of nursing related interventions within their scope of practice as well have the opportunity to be a leader and mentor in supporting facilities in maintaining effective IPAC and PPE measures. Nursing with the MEST team will also provide the opportunity to offer invaluable social and emotional support to vulnerable residents in isolation. When the MEST is experiencing down time between LTC facilities, nurses will be reallocated within the Nursing Resource Team.
The Nursing Resource Team (NRT) describes a group of uniquely trained nurses who work in a variety of clinical areas in response to needs from the clinical areas related to short term absences or changes in acuity or volume. The NRT RPN’s are deployed to in-patient departments at GH, OTMH and MDH. Members of the Nursing Resource Team have the opportunity to be trained in specialty areas when needed such as ED and Post-partum.
The successful incumbent will provide safe, evidence-informed nursing quality care to an acute medical and surgical patient population by combining interpersonal communication with clinical knowledge and skills.
- Ability to function to the full scope of practice as per CNO
- Demonstrate the ability to competently assess the patient, intervene appropriately and evaluate outcomes
- Demonstrate the knowledge, experience and ability to provide care for patients with a variety of needs including but not limited to: initiation and maintenance of IV’s and HDC, administration of medication delivered via various routes, blood and blood product administration (Hosp), patient controlled analgesia (Hosp), TPN, care and maintenance of CVADs (Hosp), capillary blood glucose monitoring, NG tubes (Hosp), chest tubes (HOSP), enteral feeds, wound management, oxygen therapy and tracheostomies
- Be able to provide appropriate care to pre-operative and post-operative patient (In Hosp)
- Ability to interpret normal and abnormal laboratory values with appropriate nursing interventions
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize and organize the delivery of care in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment including in patient and LTC environments in outbreak.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the RN as a member of the interdisciplinary team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate efficiently, effectively and respectfully to patients, residents, visitors and members of the interdisciplinary and LTC facility team
- Demonstrate a commitment to providing patient/resident-centered and family-centered care
Demonstrate a commitment to continuing education
This is what you will need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Current BCLS required at time of hire
- Recent medical/surgical experience in an acute care setting required
- Physical Assessment Course is an asset
- Ability to prioritize and work efficiently in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work within a LTC setting experiencing COVID-19 outbreak
- Organized and with ability to work in a team environment
- Previous experience working with Meditech and McKesson Visibility is an asset
- Strong patient assessment skills required
- Caring, compassionate, client focused attitude towards patients, residents and families
- Able to physically meet the demands of the role
- About to travel with-in Halton and surrounding regions
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required
Salary: $24.93 to $31.17 per hour
Date Posted: March 2, 2021
Internal applications due by: March 9, 2021
The ideal candidate is strong in attention to detail in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment and should be ready to drive change and innovation. We require an individual who is a strong communicator, interacts with co-workers and clients with care and respect and has the ability to foster a work environment that focuses on teamwork.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Halton Healthcare Services's offers that may interest you