This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Manager IT Risk Oversight
LOVE WHAT YOU DO
Work is a big part of our lives, so it makes sense to choose a company that offers truly rewarding work. At Economical Insurance®, your contributions, creativity, and energy won’t go to waste. Our passionate culture and pioneering mentality infuse everything we do, which is why our one-million-plus policyholders know we’ll protect their homes, businesses, farms, cars, and pets like they’re our own.
We’re not afraid to see how far we can push the envelope to make insurance better. Our family of companies includes Sonnet, the only Canadian home and auto insurer offering a fully online buying experience, and Petline, the largest Canadian pet insurance company. We’re also preparing to become a publicly traded company, a once-in-a-lifetime career opportunity for everyone who joins our team.
If you’re looking for a company that takes care of its people - and its customers - and has a track record of doing big things, get ready to love it here.
Location: Please note this position can be based out of Waterloo or Toronto. If based out of Toronto, there will be some required flexibility to commute between offices.
What can you expect in this role?
The Manager of Information Technology (IT) Risk Oversight is responsible for identifying, assessing, evaluating and reporting business risks related to technology at an Enterprise level. The Manager, will support the IT function in
- Executing the IT general computer control (ITGC) testing in support of Internal Control over Financial Reporting (ICFR) supporting CEO/CFO certification;
- Supporting the Enterprise risk function in the evaluation of IT risks and mitigation plans; Evaluating risk and control effectiveness;
- Support the IT function in maturing processes and practices (e.g. Cyber Security).
The Manager IT Risk Oversight may also provide subject matter expertise to strategic initiatives to ensure enterprise and compliance risks are identified, assessed and managed appropriately through the implementation and operationalizing of the strategic initiatives.
In delivering on the role’s mandate, this role works with Senior leaders and Business Unit management across the company.
Manage the IT General Computer Control (ITGC) validation program:
- Manage the ICFR validation program for ITGCs to assess, validate and report on the design and effectiveness of key internal controls to support the CEO/CFO certification;
- Report on identified gaps and provide recommendations for improving internal controls, and;
- Manage internal and external resources supporting this work.
Support the Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) program:
- Continue to enhance the enterprise risk management program, policies, standards, guidelines, procedures and reporting for Technology Services (TS);
- Provide constructive challenge and monitoring of mitigating plans to address key TS risks;
- Evaluate the impact of business incidents at the Enterprise level;
- Provide oversight to the Letter of Representation (LOR) quarterly reporting for Technology Services;
- Development of specialized analysis, reporting and presentations as required for management and board reporting;
- Support ad hoc special risk projects as required;
- Participate in various projects, as requested, pertaining to TS risk e.g. Information security and Data Governance initiatives;
- Assist with the development of corporate policies, standards and guidelines to manage key risks.
Provide support to strategic initiatives:
- As requested, provide second line of defense input and constructive challenge to ensure compliance and enterprise risks are identified, assessed and managed to remain within Economical's risk appetite throughout the implementation and operationalizing of the strategic initiatives;
- Support ERM's risk assessment and reporting on strategic initiatives.
Research and remain current with emerging best practices in technology risk management and controls:
- Research and evaluate leading and emerging industry practices and adopt continuous improvement principles to support success.
What do you bring to the role?
- 3-5 years of related experience in technology risk in areas such as Information Security, Cloud, Data Management including Data Governance, Internal/External audit, or compliance;
- Relevant Professional Designations (e.g. CISA, CISSP, CPA, CIA (Certified Internal Auditor))
- Experience within a professional services firm or experience in internal audit functions within a public company is an asset;
- Excellent stakeholder relationship management and influencing skills with the ability to effectively and constructively challenge stakeholders to drive appropriate risk management outcomes;
- Ability to build strong relationships externally and internally with people from all levels to help foster a positive risk and compliance culture;
- Strong organizational and analytical problem-solving skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proficient in Microsoft office products.
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot - you deserve it.
- Competitive salaries, with potential for an annual raise and bonus
- Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation and personal needs days
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
- Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
- Two annual wellness campaigns - participants earn up to $300 each year to spend on almost anything supporting health and work-life balance (think things like spa days, daycare, pet grooming)
- An unlimited employee referral bonus program
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounts on products and services
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume and cover letter in one document.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Economical Insurance's offers that may interest you