This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Computer purchase program
Employee assistance program
Floating leave days
Long-term disability insurance
Medical and paramedical expenses coverage
Paid sick leave
Reimbursement of professional association dues or membership fees
Reimbursement of tuition fees
Vision care insurance
Years of service recognition
Reporting to the Director of Protective Services, this position is responsible for the City’s Building Department and providing excellent customer service to clients by examining plans, performing building and plumbing inspections, and issuing permits in the administration of the provisions of the Ontario Building Code, City of Elliot Lake By-Laws and other applicable legislation. In addition, this position oversees Municipal law enforcement including Zoning, Property Standards, Parking, Animal Control and Lottery Licensing.
- Establishes operational policies for the enforcement of the Building Code Act and the Building Code.
- Coordinates and oversees the enforcement of the Building Code Act and the Building Code.
- Exercises powers and performs other duties assigned under the Building Code Act and the Building Code, in accordance with the standards established by the applicable code of conduct.
- Oversees and reviews permit applications. Examines plans submitted for permit applications for conformance to the Ontario Building Code and issues building and plumbing permits.
- Conducts on-site inspections, ensuring contractors, owners and agents are in compliance with the appropriate Provincial Acts, Codes and By-Laws.
- Provides technical advice and responds to public enquiries relating to construction and the Building Code.
- Administers the Zoning By-Law, including responding to inquiries from solicitors and the general public.
- Manages the day-to-day activities of the Building Department including rationalizing budget accounts, supervision of staff and the maintenance of project records.
- Prepares annual budget and work plan for the department.
- Issues Orders to Comply, Stop Work Orders and Emergency Orders.
- Administers provisions and licensing under relevant Municipal By-Laws (Mobile Vendors; Salvage Yard)
- Enforces the provisions of Municipal By-Laws such as Noise, Snow & Ice, Garbage Disposal, Property Standards etc.
- Maintains and administers civic address maps and numbering system under the appropriate By-Law.
- Provides information, responds to enquiries from the general public in a timely manner and attempts to resolve any disputes.
- Issues Notices of Infractions under Part I and III of the Provincial Offences documents to initiate court proceedings.
- Participates in the prosecution of code violations, including providing court testimony.
- Coordinates enforcement activity with other staff and relevant agencies.
- Conducts surveys, reviews, and formulates recommendations regarding requests for new by-laws, amendments or changes to enforcement procedures.
- Prepares all legal documents, Notices of Violation, orders and maintains all Property Standard records.
- May be required to fulfill the role of Secretary to the Property Standards Committee by organizing Property Standards Committee meetings, preparing reports, agendas and minutes.
- Coordinates remedial measures to properties.
- Oversees the enforcement of the Animal Control, Westview Park and Exotic Pets by-laws including the licensing of animals where applicable.
- Maintains parking tag records database and MTO enquiry agreement.
- Enforces the provisions of the Lottery Licence By-Law and the terms and conditions of the Gaming Control Act.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Training:
- Minimum three (3) year College Diploma in a related discipline (e.g. Civil Engineering Technology, Architectural Technologist or Applied Science Technologist) and current Certified Building Code Official (CBCO) designation. Candidate must also hold a provincial qualification as a Chief Building Official and Inspector in all technical categories of code administration.
- Minimum five (5) years of related Municipal experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of applicable Municipal by-laws, Federal and Provincial legislation, related regulations and procedures, including the Ontario Building Code and the Provincial Offences Act.
- Demonstrated knowledge of building material, construction practices and procedures including reading and comprehension of plans, blueprints and building construction drawings.
- Use of best practices within area of responsibility; current and emerging issues within and that affect the department’s jurisdiction
- Experience with building, zoning and development procedures and methods; engineering aspects of building and development projects.
- Must possess a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence and have an acceptable driving record.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, report writing, project / time management and communications skills (oral and written) are required. Interaction is with a variety of people inside and outside the organization.
- Communication with the public may involve detailed exchanges, managing conflict, mediating disputes and assisting to reach consensus. Requires strong negotiation and problem-solving skills, as well as a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Property Management System software. Working knowledge of Great Plains software would be an asset.
- Ability to prepare an effective business plan and budget for the department
- Requires knowledge and application of Occupational Health and Safety legislation and best practices.
- Bilingualism (English / French) would be an asset.
- Supervises three (3) employees
- General office conditions plus travel to site locations (e.g. for inspections)
- Day shift position, with some flexibility to respond to attend evening meetings (e.g. Committees, Council)
This employer is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
En : Advanced
En : Advanced
Other City of Elliot Lake's offers that may interest you