This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Interested in a career that makes a meaningful difference in the lives of others? One where you are valued and respected, listened to, and empowered to live up to your potential? If so, Chartwell Retirement Residences is the place for you.
We are always looking for empathetic, positive and passionate individuals committed to Making People's Lives Better. With over 200 residences across Canada, we have an opportunity for you that will make a difference in your life.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Labour Relations and as a member of a team of Labour Relations/Employee Relations professionals, the incumbent is responsible for providing people management advisory services, develop and support effective working partnership with the local and regional management teams in Chartwell Seniors Housing REIT’s owned and managed retirement and long term care residences and with the various Unions that represent employees throughout the organization.
- Assessing risk levels, advising and participating as required in grievance / pre-arbitration meetings. Evaluating viability of grievances and facilitate best possible early resolution solutions. Representing the Employer at rights arbitration. Provide training on grievance process, file integrity and mitigating strategies.
- Leading collective bargaining negotiations cycle through to implementation of renewal agreements. Conduct proposal meetings, coaching and advising managers of trends, mandate, risk management and potential outcomes. Ensure adherence to approved bargaining mandates.
- Participating in development of responses and /or representing the Employer in Labour Relations Board processes including but not limited to, certification applications, unfair labour practices complaints.
- Providing training, workshops and advice with respect to applicable provincial legislation and regulations including, but not limited to, Provincial Employment Standards Legislation, Provincial Labour Relations Legislation, Provincial Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Provincial Human Rights Legislation, Pay Equity Legislation etc.;
- Monitor, coaching / training and provided advice on interpretation, application and administration of collective and association agreements. Ensure employer compliance with agreements.
- Perform timely and detailed reviews of collective agreements to ensure all financial / operational implications are addressed in preparation for mandate approval, collective bargaining and the development of annual operating budgets and accrual. Support strategic bargaining strategies.
- Participate and develop strategies towards achieving exceptional customer experience and engagement.
- Research case law, trends, collective agreement language and rights arbitration settlements;
- Prepare regular Labour Relations reports for the Senior Director Labour Relations; recommend collective bargaining strategies.
The ideal candidate will possess:
A Post-Secondary Degree(s) and/or Diploma(s) in a related field or equivalent workplace experience.
A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive leadership experience in labour relations including collective bargaining as chief spokesperson, mediation and rights arbitrations; experience in interest arbitration preferred:
Knowledge of Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia labor relations an asset;
Professional knowledge and experience of the seniors housing industry is preferred.
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to manage and respond to difficult and complex situations promptly, effectively and professionally;
Demonstrated problem-solving and dispute resolution skills and ability:
Demonstrated experience in the interpretation, application and administration of collective agreements and employment related legislation and regulations;
The ability to negotiate using analytical, influence and persuasion skills. Ability to function in a matrix environment, fast growing organization and manage priorities.
The ability to analyze and interpret information contained in business related documents, write reports and business correspondence, and effectively relay/present information accordingly;
The ability to efficiently and effectively research case law, trends, collective agreement language, rights settlements and interest settlements;
Professional knowledge of the seniors housing industry preferred;
Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen; Extensive travel primarily by car throughout Ontario including overnight stays.
To apply please email your CV/resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other Chartwell Retirement Residences's offers that may interest you