- Salary To be discussed
- Full time
- Published on December 27th, 2021
- Add to favorites
As soon as possible
This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Program Manager, R&D Partnerships
Make an impact at a global and dynamic investment organization
When you invest your career in CPP Investments, you join one of the most respected and fastest growing institutional investors in the world. With current assets under management valued in excess of $450 billion, CPP Investments is a professional investment management organization that globally invests the funds of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) to help ensure long-term sustainability. The CPP Fund is projected to exceed $1.5 trillion in the next two decades. CPP Investments invests in all major asset classes, including public equity, private equity, real estate, infrastructure and fixed-income instruments, and is headquartered in Toronto with offices in Hong Kong, London, Luxembourg, Mumbai, New York City, San Francisco, São Paulo and Sydney.
CPP Investments attracts and selects high-calibre individuals from top-tier institutions around the globe. Join our team and look forward to:
- Diverse and inspiring colleagues and approachable leaders
- Stimulating work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Accelerated exposure and responsibility
- Global career development opportunities
- Being motivated every day by CPP Investments’ important social purpose and unshakable principles
- A deeply rooted culture of Integrity, Partnership and High Performance
If you share a passion for performance, value a collegial and collaborative culture, and approach everything with the highest integrity, here’s an opportunity for you to invest your career at CPP Investments.
Reporting to the Director, Research & Partnerships, you will play a lead role in the Research & Development external partnership program, a part of CPP Investments’ Technology & Data department. The R&D Program has the mandate to accelerate the delivery of the Fund’s technology and data strategy by partnering with external companies to co-develop or acquire intellectual property, providing a pipeline of competitively differentiating capabilities for the use of CPP Investments and our portfolio companies.
In this role, you will originate, diligence, business case, execute, and manage partnerships, with a focus on early stage technology companies, ensuring these partnerships deliver on expected business outcomes to drive alpha generation or operational improvements for CPP Investments and our portfolio companies. You will play a critical role in achieve the goal of enhancing the organization’s capabilities as an investor and deepening its knowledge in emerging innovative ideas and practices.
You will work with the Director, Research & Partnerships to:
- Develop an origination pipeline of qualified and prioritized partnership opportunities that meet our strategic priorities and focus themes, cultivating an external network of trusted strategic partners, conducting external scouting and research, and leveraging CPPIB’s global network
- Independently manage a subset of the pipeline, evaluating each opportunity based on strategic value to enable the T&D Strategy
- Work with internal technology and business stakeholders to validate the technical thesis and application through diligence and proofs-of-concept
- Support the negotiation of partnership terms and manage execution of the final agreement, in conjunction with the Legal, Tax, and Finance departments
- Take the lead in producing and presenting the final recommendation to committee for partnership approval
- Establish governance and manage a subset of the active partnerships, monitoring performance and ROI and overseeing the implementation plan for any integration with CPPIB’s technology/investment ecosystem
- Stay informed of structural themes that can disrupt our business in the long-term and develop an entrepreneurial and tech-savvy ecosystem for outside-in feedback on our strategy and to accelerate our transformation
As this role requires you cultivate and own C-suite level relationships with emerging technology companies, you will have built a track record of building trusted relationships, strong business judgement, and exceptional stakeholder management. You have a proven ability to execute independently and are a highly effective communicator.
- 7+ years related work experience in management consulting from a top-tier firm, or an equivalent corporate position; experience in a venture capital or operational role would be considered a plus
- Track-record of sourcing, identifying, evaluating and enabling external commercial partnerships, particularly through a scalable strategic partnerships’ framework is preferred
- Demonstrated experience with emerging technologies such as Machine Learning is preferred
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; builds trusted relationships and garners support for important ideas and initiatives with internal and external senior stakeholders
- Well networked into ideas and conversations affecting the technical future of asset management
- Strong analytical skills and business judgement; ability to communicate complex ideas effectively (verbally, visually and in writing)
- Master’s degree or equivalent is considered an asset
- Demonstrate CPP Investments’ guiding principles of High Performance, Integrity and Partnership
Visit our Linkedin Career Page or Follow us on Linkedin. #LI-BG1
At CPP Investments, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Our Commitment to Inclusion and Diversity:
In addition to being dedicated to building a workforce that reflects diverse talent, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible experience. If you require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms, etc.), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
CPP Investments does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other web-site job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved by CPP Investments to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. CPP Investments will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.