This recruiter is online.
This is your chance to shine!Apply Now
Address:60 Yonge Street
Job Family Group:Customer Solutions
Assesses the underwriting risk associated with new and existing in‐force applications for BMO Life Assurance insurance policies, including financial risk, medical risk, target market risk and other identified risks, in relation to the company's underwriting principles, directives & guidelines. Decides whether to issue the policy as requested, to modify, or to reject the policy. Outlines the terms of an acceptable policy and determines the rates or premiums.
- Recommends and implements solutions based on analysis of issues and implications for the business.
- Assists in the development of strategic plans.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Researches, develops and documents innovative Underwriting practices.
- Develops and maintains competitive underwriting requirements.
- Contributes to product development.
- Helps determine business priorities and best sequence for execution of business/group strategy.
- Conducts independent analysis and assessment to resolve strategic issues.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Designs and produces regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
- Breaks down strategic problems, and analyses data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses any issues.
- Builds change management plans of varying scope and type; leads or participates in a variety of change management activities including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Leads or participates in defining the communication plan designed to positively influence or change behaviour; develops tailored messaging; and identifies appropriate distribution channels.
- Resolves escalated complaint and reconsideration requests.
- Implements approved continuous improvement for content and underwriting rules.
- Coordinates internal medical information bureau audits
- Acts as a subject matter expert for insurance underwriting.
- Provides expert opinion regarding application contents (including all Underwriting risk selection forms).
- Reviews non contestable claims and liaises with claims to see trends and determines if changes need to be made.
- Reviews possible rescind investigations.
- Provides underwriting expertise and support on complex cases - and working towards expertise on underwriting of all products/ distribution channels.
- Leads/participates in the design, implementation and management of core business/group processes.
- Identifies business needs, designs/develops tools and training programs; may include delivery of training to audiences.
- Follows the underwriting principles, directives, guidelines & manuals to assess the underwriting risk for New Business applications, Policy Changes for various product lines and distribution channels (Agency, Direct, and Group) including gathering information and reports, identifying and requesting missing information, studying various insurance proposals to determine purpose and insurability, liaising with specialists to understand risk factors, applying financial assessment for each policy.
- Identifies, submits and accepts (if applicable) facultative reinsurance.
- Calculates appropriate rating and decides whether the risk should be shared with a re-insurer and negotiates reinsurance agreements on individual cases as required.
- Decisions the insurance policy and specifies any additional conditions to be imposed based on the overall underwriting risk assessment.
- Prepares documentation and ensures that all systems are updated according to established policies and procedures.
- Maintains excellent reinsurance relationships in the discussion of individual case management and requirements.
- Reviews special underwriting requests or rating reconsiderations for MGAs and brokers and negotiates terms as required for specific business (within authority limits).
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Provides specialized consulting, analytical and technical support.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently and regularly handles non-routine situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 5 - 7 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In-depth knowledge of insurance products, contracts and benefit plans (all individual, disability and group products).
- ALU II - working towards F.A.L.U
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Level of education
Work experience (years)
Other BMO Financial Group's offers that may interest you