by Jessica Gohier
The use of resume templates has gained popularity among jobseekers. In today’s increasingly competitive environment, what better way to stand out from the crowd?
The basic strategy is simple enough: move away from any run-of-the mill, outdated look! Go for creative resumes in which you can simply remove placeholder text and insert your own.
While you might think that this is going to cost a fortune and require complicated, specialized software, it’s actually nothing of the sort. The following models are available online for less than 20 bucks, are completely customizable and were created using Microsoft Word!
Here are a few pointers to get you going:
Five resume templates
1. Simple use of colour
2. Say it with flair.
3. Picture this!
4. Simple and to the point: no layout
5. The one-pager
Once you’ve chosen the template that feels right for you, consider these expert tips to make the most of this approach.
Five quick tips
1. Choose a style and a layout that is suited to the industry.
2. Mind ATS software: always keep an unformatted text version of your resume.
3. Download the free fonts that are recommended; they’ll give your document just the right look.
4. Always apply with a PDF document!
5. Pick colours according to your own personal branding – but keep it simple and fresh!